Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 20v ST ECU

Name
    Carl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Just wanted to Know what ECU's people are using and how much they paid for them.

I was talking to a mechanic who is going to do the wiring for my car and he said it would cost $2,500 for an new ECU and $1,500 for all the wiring and all the equipment for direct ignition. The reason he gave me for the price is that toyota have a wierd dissy and this was the only ecu that could work with the crank angle sensor, also it has a built in map sensor.

I heard people on this forum talk about adaptronic ecu's. Can anyone tell me about these and how much they cost, or any other ecu's for that matter.

Cheers, Kapour

gunbz-r

ur mechanic is full of shit,
    u can fit anythin from an adaptronic, microtech right thru to motec systems, just comes down to what u wanna spend. personally i use autronic as these are exceptional, but also come with a big price $2300 for comp+ fitting and tune, where as u can get somethin like a microtech for 2500 fitted with direct igntion

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

a lot of Toyota stuff is now using Adaptronic, from many humble 20v conversions right up to Josh Youngs 1UFZE AE86.

pm Anthony on these forums he is a distributor.

pricing is very good and he has wired many a 20v

Name
    Carl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

He was also talking about a wasted spark. Can anyone explain that to me.

gunbz-r

instead of using a dizzy with a single coil, or using individual coils. its a system that uses 1 coil for every 2 cylinders. it fires the coil in 2 cylinders at the same time, wasting one of the sparks, as the cylinder isnt at its firing stage of its cycle.

so for example, if ur running a waste spark on ur 20v. no 1 and 3 share the same coil, so when no 1 is on its compression to power stroke where the plug fires no3 is on its exhaust when it also fires its plug, therefore wasting the spark, since theres nothing to burn.

hope that hlps m8, im pretty sure its right. if theres somethin not entirely correct someone will correct it.

but basically thats it

Name
    Carl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Nov 28 2007, 12:54 PM) </div>
    What model autronic did you use and how much was it for just the ecu(not to be rude) because I think that is the ecu he was talking about. Also did you run direct ignition.

gunbz-r

i havent fitted one to my car only customer cars, they usually retail for 2300-2500 for a basic, but if its just a street car u wont really need that level of tuning.
    can i ask what shop did u go to?

Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i got a Microtech LT10s and the x4 ignition module on my MAP ze for $1500, installed not tuned...

gotta get a hand controller as well... witch are about $500...
    -=Back by popular demand=-

Bad Email Address

I have a Haltech hooked up to my GZE turbo. A new haltech E6X starts at about $ 1300 i think, best to ask around and get a couple of opinions from people actually running an aftermarket ecu.

gunbz-r

wen it come to computers, if its just a daily go for somethin like haltech, ems or microtech, these are basic computers that will do a fine job of running ur car.
    and all a reasonably priced, when it comes to fitting and tuning, expect to pay, anything upto 2500 fitted and tuned for one of these systems.

in my opinion id go for the ems over the haltech and that over the microtech. i have driven and used these systems and all do their job quite well. just comes down to how much of ur pennys u would like to spend.
    on another note do not expect huge power gains, and awesome drivability over the standard computer, i wouldn't worry bout usin an aftermarket comp unless u need it, for example if ur usin cams, head or bottom end work. if not id stay with the standard unit as these usually run the car better than aftermarket units

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast