Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thumbs down

got a call today from a mate with a freshly converted ADM AE86 now running a ADM AE82 bigport 4AGE.

stock loom and ECU modded to suit.

this is the problem

after roughly 5 minutes of running engine stalls and will not restart until roughly another 5 minutes later. when it runs it runs and drives fine. no miss fire, hesitiation or any sort of warning it just shuts down.

fuel and spark are apparently fine.

what struck me is the timeframe, it doesn't cut out under any particular situation, it cuts out after a specific amount of time.

any thoughts??

i was left wondering if the temp sensor on the back of the head (brown or green) could be at fault. one controls a fan from memory (no big deal) and the other (brown i think) has something to do with the injectors.

i'm open to all advice though seeing i can't/haven't seen the car itself!!!

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

maybe the ECU is rooted? :unsure:

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Hey Gilly,

I've seen something similar before where it was a faulty ECU (had a burnt out cap.). The car would run for about 15 minutes, then die without fail. Replaced the ECU, and the car was as good as new. It was almost as if it would run fine on the cold-start map, and die when it hit the running temp.

it might be worth a shot if you have access to a spare one,
    Andrew.

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

cheers dude

i had the ECU on my possible fault list but it was further down the order but it make sense now you mention the cold start map.

I'll see if he can get access to another

gunbz-r

failing that tell him to check power to comp and that stuff, maybe a relays is gettin to hot and failing (bimetalic strip playin up).

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Roy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Sorry to hijack your thread gilly.

I've got a stall problem in mine. Jap bigport, I'll be coming off the highway(Usually only happens when coming off a highway or the next few stops after the highway) and slowing down to stop and it will either stall or nearlly die (hit 300rpm) and vibrates to the shit.

I thought it might be a fuel surge problem(Car only stalls when slowing quickly) but even while slowing down realllly slow it will still nearlly stall. Sometimes at running temperature if I rev it to 2,500-3,000rpm it will either stall or do the 300rpm vibration.

I noticed my pod filter is dirty as a fucker, can't get much dirt out of it but it seems most of it is blocked up, thought it might be engine coming down from rev's quickly and still needs a fair bit of air.

Much love to Gilly-san

gunbz-r

um if its really dirty yeh, go to super cheap and buy a $40 podi and find out

delta s4

hey Gilly,

when engine cuts out, try and cool down various sensors/ignition modual etc one at a time with some compressed air and maybe a bit of water(if your game), and then try and start it again . The normal running tepm of engine could be creating excessive resistance in these one of these components or somthing causing it to shut down

A similar thing can occour with the fuel pump once they get warm so maybe a resistace check accross the relay could be worth while.
    Both of these checks are very cost effective, well cheaper than an ECU anyhow, lol. Good Luck.

cheers,
    pat