Thread: Ae86 Gas Chamber (Carb mon.)

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hi all, my 86 is slowely killing me through carbon monoxide poisoning, its awesome, truely. :unsure:

After going through things like exhaust leaks and hatch seals not being good enough i have been told that it is my piston rings by a person whome i beleive knows what they are talking about.
    Understandably i want this fixed asap, but i thought id see if anyone can confirm it is this.

Basically its just really smelly fumes inside (and outside when idoling), and im pretty sure theyres no exhaust leaks (just did extractors and got exhaust check) and it still smells outside so it cant be seals.
    Making Me really tired all the time, its great , if anyone for some reason thinks its not piston rings please let us know what else you think it could be

Cheers

Grant
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/731/43367425735d6c87ce7bo.jpg

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hey grant, so your got heaps of crap coming out your exhaust eh?

interesting you say its smelly inside, but there are no exhaust leaks, is it smelly inside at speed?

blow piston rings mean that oil will be being burnt as it climbs around the rings and gets a nice suprise as it hits an explosion and then out the exhast.

so you should be getting some whiteish smoke out the back i would think from the blown rings?

you sure its not just running rich?

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    John
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

Check the P.C.V pipe

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

It doesn't matter what the gas is... carbon monoxide/ carbondioxide from a normal exhaust or burnt carbon and oil smoke, it will only get into the cabin if something is wrong. If it exits the exhaust pipe and there are no leaks then it shouldn't get into the cabin and make you asphyxiate...

How do you know there are no exhaust leaks? Checked for any holes in your exhaust for the whole length of the car? Have you stripped your interior and not plugged the bolt holes? Do you have any rust spots?

You can get the car checked by an exhaust guy with a CO/CO2 meter IIRC

Concentrate on one thing at a time, if your motor is blowing smoke it fixing it wont fix a cabin exhaust leak, it might make it a bit better but you wont be fixing all of the problem.

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

New extractors and piping to cat (new cat too - was done in hope to fix problem as well as old cat was stuffed)
    Exhaust checked for holes
    Seals in good nick
    Not running rich - Normal amount of fuel goes
    Doesnt run like crap
    No rust
    Holes all pluged up as far as i know
    No smoke
    A/F ratios checked in a shop - Almost perfect ratios

I thought piston rings sounded odd as i know it mainly involves oil smoke. The way he explained it was by showning me all the blow back comming from the line that runs from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold. I thought that was a normal thing.
    The bloke that told me this is a mechanic, owner of 3 86's and several other 4age cars so i trust he knows what he's on about but i want to make sure...

Im not sure what it is but i think i shouldnt be driving it till it gets fixed as im getting really sick from it...

Name
    Joash
    State
    Tasmania
    Country
    Australia

would be coming out your breather if its blow by (piston rings)

This almost claimed my life last practice day, was as sick day but

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

To check, don't use a catch can. Hook all the hoses up as they should be. The breather hose, and the PCV hose. This should sort of seal the crankcase and stop oily smells.

You need to fix all the air leaks in the cabin, especialy up the back. The cabin is sometimes lower air pressure than outside so exhaust is sucked in.

If you don't have blue smoke pouring out the back, the motor is proably fine.

If you have some black smoke out the back, it's probably just too rich. Need a tune.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Oh yeah, if you have a catch can (ie a route in the engine bay for gasses to escape) and lots of blow by it's very possible to get fumes coming out of it into the car. If you have one put it back to stock and see if that helps.

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Nah dont have a catch can, thanks for the ideas tho.... i duno it just has to be something wrong with the motor im sure. It Just shouldnt smell like this.

Although it primarily make me sick inside the car, it is still very noticable when standing outside the car. Just a very thick burnt fuel smell (no unburnt fuel smell at all). That said i doubt it could be to do with seals inside the cabin...

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

my car can do this stinker too. its exhaust fumes coming out of the quads in my car tho, nothing major
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway