Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket ECUs ?

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

It's been done before, but I am sure new products are now out. I want to buy a new computer for myself soon. Let me know if someone has already done the hard work. I will try and list models and retail price and a few features.

MoTeC M4

Autronic SMC $1900 + ignition

EMS 8860 $1695
    EMS 4860 $1595

Wolf V500 $1895

MicroTech LT10 $1200

AdapTronic ~$950 + loom $66 + igniter $50 + MAP $77

HalTech E6X $1395
    HalTech E8 $1795

MegaSquirt ~$280 + many hours

Plug into stock plugs:
    Razorback (Toyota ECU exchange)
    APEXi Power FC Need to special order?
    HKS F-con Need to be a dealer to get the sofware?

Piggybacks:
    Gready eManage

My personal requirements:
    Has to run a 4 cylinder motor off the factory 20v CAS and TPS, and has to fire twin or 4 coils.
    Idealy it will be a computer that can run any engine with only a change in software (or any 4 cyl at least).
    It should be programable with a laptop.
    Closed loop self tuning with a wideband is nice but not needed.
    If it's a plug in computer, it has to be for AE111 (or AE86 I guess).

Oh, and if I really like the one I choose I could do the same with customers cars. Becoming a installer and tuner of a certain brand would not be a bad thing.

Banned
    Name
    andrew

if you wont to remove the cas (u have sed u dont wont to i know) you could go haltech it does everything you wont and instead of the cas you can use there halleffect on your front pulley wich is more compact. if i had a good photo of myne id show ya.
    the haltech can run the standard cas but i started having probs over 250hp for some reason and i changed the reluctors and everything but in n/a form it will be fine.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ohhhh man i was just about to post a topic like this

ive been researching a bit about this as i too am going to buy a programmable ecu for my engine

do you want to run open quad throttles?

if so you can cross off microtech and EMS from the list as you need to run dual maps and these dont support (its something like this anyway, you need to run 2 maps because the map sensor isnt so good on low revs? im still learning....)

autronic is by far the best (from what ive gathered) but it cost heaps more than the others

ive heard that wolf isnt sooo good with toyota engines either, i cannot back this up with any solid info, its just what ive gathered from reading around.

megasquirt is an interesting device, i have been reading about this one all morning. (especially the new one, series 2)

it seems like a freeking awesome ECU, appears to have everything i need (basically looking at similar requirements to what you have listed)

only down side is you have to build it yourself and im not sure if many companies (if any) will tune it for you, but i believe road tunning is quite possible. other thing is since you are building it yourself take alot more technical knowledge than most of the others.

im very interested to hear other peoples oppinions, and feel free to correct me on what ive written, im still getting the hang of it all...
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

other thing with megasquirt is that it doesnt come with a base map (from what ive gathered), so bit of stuffing around, trial and error trying to get it to run initially.

although being open source, theres prolly heaps of maps on the net available
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I will be running open quad throttles. I think this should be possible with most of them. With quads it's better to use the TPS to create the maps rather than the MAP sensor. I think the MicroTech and Wolf both have this option in the software.

My pets hates are not being able to use the factory sensors. I want to use the 20v TPS, which most of the newer ones should do easy. I would prefer to use the original CAS just because I prefer Toyota parts than having to make something which will never look as good or be able to buy a replacement.

Last time I looked at the MegaSquirt, I would have had to change all the sensors and ignition to GM or something like that.

Can you buy a generic PowerFC you wire up yourself? Program on a laptop?

Is there a standalone Trust-Gready item?

Coils could be twin 4A-GZE coils, or 4 coils from a 2AZ-FE motor or similar (modifyed), or possiably a single coil with the distributor cap on the front (but I don't like that). What 2AZ-FE style coil is the best fit on a 20V?

I can program from no base map, not a problem. I'm more interested in ease of tuning. It's a pain scrolling through the maps with MicroTech.

Name
    Benn
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Link

HKS F-con

Trust/Greddy Emanage/Vmanage

though i don't know whether the last two are available for the 4A
    Link is a big hit in NZ for high end engine management

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Adaptronic uses factory sensors and runs off the 20v CAS.

there is a lot of 20v's up here (QLD) running them add to that Josh's the 1UFZE (20v quads equipped) AE86, Sam's 4AGTE, both Ant's Beams 3SGE and 4AGTE powered 86's and Tim Ottoway's 1J celica.

competitively priced too and a clever bit of gear.

Ant will no doubt fill you in on that when he reads this

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i looked into this abit when i was choosing an ecu for the gze.

i ended up going with a LT10s

i got the ecu, hand controller, X4 box, loom and laptop cable for $1200 brand new. this was probably 18 months ago.

its a very user friendly installation. i have done all the wiring myself (i am a qualified mechanic, so reading wiring diagrams and wiring is a bit easier for me). The loom comes well labelled so you cant really wire it up wrong.

the diagram in the back of the manual is very easy to read, it also comes with pictures of all the factory 4age plugs and which terminal should be connected to which wire on the loom.

i am running the factory CAS, which is a straight wire up to the factory plug, took 15 minutes to wire in. im not using the gze coils, im using individual bosch coils with the X4 box. this box comes with its own loom, which is also labelled, so its just a matter of connecting -ve to each coil and a +ve from the battery (with an ignition on relay) to the coils also.

over all, for a simple budget install, i couldnt go past it, seeings as its my first ever attempt at wiring an ecu to a car, it was quiet easy.

the only downfall, maybe, is that it doesnt have a closed loop function, no o2 sensor function at all.

it does have 3 output controllers tho, for things like thermo fan......it even turns the blower on and off!

Bad Email Address

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ Dec 23 2007, 02:19 PM) </div>I was wondering the same thing... the TPS cant sense the exact amount of air at all so im guessing that MAP would be better
    but you probably organise your vaccuum lines for a solid vaccuum pressure

Can anyone clarify this?

Veteran
    Name
    Paul
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Greddy E-Manage Utimate is a new one i think got somme really god features for a Piggyback ECU

read more here

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast