Name
    Chris
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Tools to buy?

Hi all,

Well with Krudd money coming through to me soon hopefully, I would like to get some tools. After any information for some good tools which aren't overly priced and decent quality. Also what tools you'd recommend to get for working on an AE86 in general.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    1984 JDM Zenki Trueno GT-Apex Hatch
    4AGE 16V
    +Quads, HKS 264 cams, Microtech LT10s, TRD gearset gearbox, TRD2WAY LSD, fun!

FOR SALE: JDM 4AG PACKAGE+ITEMS (ENGINE/GBOX/EXHAUST/ECU/SHIT)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?p=15205

Name
    Orido
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

snap on, buy the whole catalog :>

Name
    David
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

total tool are not bad value, and the quality is right up there.

my uncle has some bluepoint spanners, and he has some total tool spanners, and i swear they come out of the same factory, they have the same casting marks.

i have a total tool set. its good

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

super flat alloy race jack with quick action pump (usually have minimal swing with low hight and bars, alloy so its nice and light and easy to throw around in a hurry).

umm, tyre changer, hoist lol

pullers, telescopic magnetic pick-up, veneer callipers..

good tools FTW, having siad that ive been manageing with very very basic tools, ive got 2 sets of supercheap impact long sockets, rattle gun, set of stanly spanners, pliers few screw drivers and a hammer or two.

the stanly spanners are the best ones ive ever used, i give them heaps of abuse. jump on them, belt the shit out of them with metal hammers, use them as leavers on each other and generally throw them about. they are about $60 for a set 8-22mm on special RRP is around $80 and i cant rate them highly enough!

another tool ive found very handy and its cheap as is a short handled ratchet, great for un-doing bolts/nuts that are bit too tight for finger tight and where you cant get a big swing. i got a el-cheapo from bunnings for about $10. i use my old broken and welded up rahtet for cracking shit off tho as im sure its not very strong internally. but does the job i brought it for well
    Last edited by ae71; 29th April 2009 at 02:55 PM.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

-Cordless rattle gun i heartily agree with. You can have a rattle gun without having to buy an air compressor, air lines etc etc.
    -A set of impact sockets to go with your rattle guns. Don't explode your normal sockets with the 'epic torks' of a rattle gun.
    -Speaking of sockets, buy a GOOD 3/8" socket set. TTI (trade tools?)are excellent bang for your buck. It makes all the difference when working on your car with good tools. A ratchet with 60 clicks is just that much better than a chiwanese one with 25.
    -A screwdriver set if you don't have one already
    -Flex head ratchet spanners are a very handy thing to have around. Be careful though, one or two might seem pretty cheap, but getting a whole set can add up. 3 of them cost me around $80 from memory.
    -Prybars. You always need prybars.
    -A pick set. These are great for undoing fiddly things without breaking them. Put pressure in the right place, not on the whole object.

That'll take up most of your K-Rudd money i think

As i said before, TTI are excellent bang for your buck. I use them all day at work, and i've only broken one screwdriver. I was using it as a chisel at the time

Oh, if you don't have a nice toolbox, get one of those. Got to have something to put stupid stickers on.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Phuoc
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

your local market is a good place for tool, picked up a set of chrome vanadium rachet spanner for 77ish dollars
    Pick up Sydney
    Pics can be sent by phone
    Emails ignored
    Texts ignored
    Private numbers ignored
    Wankers abused

Name
    Ben
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Repco shop bran tools,

come from the same factory as sidchrome......

and a lifetime warranty

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I swear i could pull down 90% of my whole car with a metric set of spanners... ha!

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

best gift anyone had ever given me was a set of descent Stanly spanners, def prefer them over the old mans sidechrome.

Name
    Chris
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Best investment for me was the air compressor, and pipework for the entire shed, and then isolating the compressor in another shed so i dont get a headache.

Also, for angle grinders after flogging out two Makitas and Ryobi ive given up and started buying the $15 cheapo brand from Supercrap auto. I do enough fab that i generally have 4 on the bench: 1mm cutoff, grinding disc, sandpaper flap disc and wire wheel. Bearings flog out in 12-18months, but they are so cheap to replace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast