Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SR20DET into 86

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

as stated im chasing any info required to pur a sr20 in an 86...jus wat parts needed and wat complications ppl have run into..NOT INTERESTED IN ANTI-CROSS BREADING BULLSHIT....I DONT CARE DONT WRITE IT....i only want info on sr only as ca are bags of crap by cmoparision....cheers rich

Name
    Benn
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the only thing i will suggest is this, the basic need is a welder and someone handy with a welder.

other than that:

1. you want to get the motor in as far back and as low as possible(to keep a reasonable chassis balance)
    2. if you want to get the motor in as far back and as low as possible you'll need to mod the sump
    3. use a R32 gearbox with a SR bellhousing/front case, it will stop you spending countless hours cutting up ur tunnel to fit the gearbox/shifter
    4. your stock radiator dosn't stand a chance but the s13 one fits with minamal mods
    5. brush up on wiring skills and how to read factory wiring diagrams or know someone who does.

the rest is basic fabrication and common sense

ohh and don't rant on about bashings of cross-breeding, and then bash on a CA.

the only ca bashing is the fact they are weaker then the sr and in the pinned thread its says sr into an 86 then everyone starts talking bout ca conversion....anyone no how much weight difference i am looking at between jdm bigport 4age and s14 sr20det....

Name
    Benn
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

and i spose you've built anough CA's and SR's to make that call, CA's have their problems from factory but all are easily fixable and they certainly aren't weak.

Compleate SR+gearbox is about 30kg heavier than equivilent 4Age+T50,

wel i did work in a import shop mainly doing engine work and one guy with a ca that worked they jus kept having probs with it and other guy with sr had relativly less probs and ca is older...less power...less torque...same price for parts...less capacity....so thus my reasoning for a sr over a ca its my car and its wat i want to put in so i dont think this ca vs sr needs to go any further as its my decision wat i want to do if you want to talk ca vs sr starta thread...i jus want to know all the exact parts needed to put a sr in adn other parts that will not hold up to sr power thats all thanks for ur info so far but not intested in sr vs ca chat...cheers

Name
    c
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

There is a shop that makes the cross members in brissy somewhere. Not overly expensive then everything else is fairly straight forward

Name
    Benn
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

not trying to change your mind dude, I'm all for sticking with the SR. but when you're on a toyota forum asking for help with cross-breeding nissan motors, Bashind CA's won't help you, especially when there are limited people that have done this sort of thing. anyway subject dead and buried.

4a-ge + t50 = ~155kg

sr + box = ~183kg
    usual things, fuel lines/pumps, tailshaft/cut-shunt, relocate battery.
    diff won't hold out, T series wouldn't last much longer with a bit of artistic driving.
    jig up a G series diff, or 78 borg warner(r31 skyline already has the right stud pattern)
    clutch line need to do a double back on it's self to get to nissan slave cyl(drivers side) nissan slave works fine with toyota master/lines.
    make custom engine brackets and gearbox x-member(toymods has a good write up on how to make mounts if you need some ideas)
    the 86's starting, charging, oil pressure and coolant temp loom(lower driverside of engine bay) will work on the SR with slight mod/plug change on the alternator wires.
    most other wiring can be patched into the 86 by the SR's E8 and E10 plugs(two large plugs after the MAF plug) patching these to the equivilent powers,earths at the 86's fusebox(need wiring diagrams)
    I'd also recommend extra bracing/reinforcing of the body

Name
    Luke
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Use a S13 SR20DET with a t28BB they are much better then the S14/15 Equiv

reasons for using an older engine????

Name
    Luke
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Less weight(lighter then a 4AGE) and much better head flow. As used by Team ORANGE's (All built by JUN) S15's.

:2thumbs:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast