Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: commodore experts needed

Name
    Dusty
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

well at work at the moment there is a vs, it keeps overheating intermitanetly... and she got it hot enough to crack the radiator... anyhow thats not the problem yet, replaced teh thermostat and radiator and started to bleed it up wiht a coolant bleeder, but once it starts t get warm it seems like it has a massive air lock and spews out all the coolant and then when it's turned off it keeps going, anyone have any hot tips on what to do? starting to annoy the shit out of me

Name
    Reza
    State
    Jakarta
    Country
    Indonesia

Use a massive funnel and try wedge it in the radiator filler hole, so that you can fill the funnel half up and let it drain into the radiator the whole time, don't turn it off, just keep trying to fill the bastard. My mechanic was doing this once when I went to see him, took him well over 30 minutes before it would stop spewing everywhere, they are just a shithouse desined system for airlocks.

Good luck!!!

did you try cracking the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing? also you sure the head gasket not rooted? also make sure the heater is on

never had problem with leeding these before

the best funnel to use to fill these up is the straight section an old top radiator hose cut out. fits perfectly into the top of the radiator

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i am the resident holden mechanic

have you opened the bleed screw whilst filling the funnel up?

just leave the bleed screw open fora while, whilst filling the cooling system up. have the heater on also

is it on gas? they can be a real prick to bleed. ]

the funnel has to be taller than the bleed screw on the top of the thermostat housing.

ive had it happen a few times when it just shits out all the coolant everywhere. usually does it with new thermostats.

every few minutes with the engine running, just open the bleed screw for a bit, this should get all the air out

you have plugged the thermo fan back in......i forgot to once and i couldnt figure why it was overheating

Name
    Dusty
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slide86 @ Dec 28 2007, 01:21 PM) </div>haha yeh, I'm using one of those yellow bleeders, the proper things for it, got the heater on it's not on gas... had it running before and mid way through the radiator is still cold? sort of seems like the new thermostat is crap already, which is no surprise from a tridon one... starting to think maybe it's a headgasket... last time we let her take it, it ran fine fro a week then overheated :blink: so yeh she's a funny one, my idea was to fill it up put the cap on and let it run for a while and crack the bleeder open every now and then... and yes the thermo is plugged in I have done exactly the same thing before too

Name
    Kim
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Aust

Sound kinda stupid but i found that blocking the radiator top and sqeezing the top and bottom hoses whilst the bleeder is open helps, sort of acts like a plunger.

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Having heaps of holden's in the family (and working on one heaps with cooling problems constantly). The thermostats are always dodgy even if they are new. Always test them in a pot of boiling hot water to see if it opens up fully. As soon as the temp guage begins to lift off the dash, you should start to feel the top radiator hose start to get warm. If its still cold when it gets to half way, its not opening....
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Name
    Brad
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

my vs had the same problem. replaced radiator cap, thermostat, temp sender. and it still had the problem.

then i got a new water pump, problem solved.

as the water pump gets old it starts leaking coolant through the front bush.

everytime i topped up the coolant it would last a week untill it started overheating intermidetly.

since i put in the new pump it has ran like a dream since!!

dont know how crazy you guys go bleeding them, but all i did was squeezed the top radiator hose a couple of times and got rid of the bubbles and thats it. haha. mine is on gas too.

and nikkojoe, how can you test a thermostat in a pot of boiling water if they work off pressure?

riojin

vr and vs are common with this problem. i know of someone who puts as much coolant+water in their car as they do fuel. i should let them know about the water pump

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast