Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default 86 ignition coil

bit of a novice question here but to replace to stock coil (its dead) if using a bosch coil do we need GT40R or GT40 (non resistor type) ??

Name
    Dave
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

What engine are you running? 4AC?, 4AGE? Big port? Small port? Other? Normally if your existing coil does not use a resistor your replacement coil would not need to have a resistor. I think that its usually Carb'd cars that run a resistor or one that still runs points, not entirely sure on this tho. From the link the GT40R is a canister type and if your existing one is also canister it should mount right in, just make sure you wire up the polarity properly. If you are running a small port your coil will not be of canister type but of the transformer type and to replace this you will need to cut off the plug at the coil and wire up the thicker wire to the "+" side of teh coil and the smaller thinner wire to the "-" side of the coil. You might want to look at the coils from MSD, apparently for oil-filled coils you are supposed to run them upright due to the oil inside as they may overheat but from what I have seen most of them from factory are run horizontally.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, David
    Last edited by SXC-086; 27th December 2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Missing Information

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

thanks david

engine is 4ag, bigport, obviously the stock one is a canister type, but they come in both resistor and non resistor types, just need to know which one to use for the ae86 with 4age, i cant tell what one the old one was.
    Last edited by sundee; 27th December 2008 at 04:48 PM.

Name
    Dave
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

I'm not sure on the big port but if you still have your stock coil look around the coil for a small rectangular ceramic thing which is usually on the coil bracket or near it somewhere, this is the resistor if you have one then I suggest you get the one with the resistor. I believe the Bosch GT40R with the resistor is the same as the GT40 but they do not come with a resistor so I would mostly think that the coils are basically the same. On the link you sent it only showed the GT40R and had an internal primary resistance of 1.2 ohms which is typical for an ignition coil and should run fine.

EDIT: I just had a dig through my pictures folder and it appears that all you need is a standard coil without the resistor as on the bigport all that sits on the coil is the ignitor. Unless there is something I am unaware of.
    Last edited by SXC-086; 27th December 2008 at 09:46 PM.

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i do have the small black square box which is bolted to the to the coil mount bracket, i thought this was a resistor but wasnt sure, and yep i just have the coil and ignitor pack on top. saying that their is a resistor already i should only need the standard GT40 non resistor type, correct? running a GT40R (resistor type) and also having another resistor in the engine bay wouldnt work would it? im pretty sure that the GT40R has a built in resistor.. thanks for your help DAve

Name
    Dave
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

Most of these aftermarket coils would suit Carby cars which run points or even fuel injected cars that still run points and also just normal fuel injected vehicles. Mainly the resistor is used on cars running points.

Eg the good ol 4AC ,LOL, it has a resistor for the coil, but it will only run through the resistor when the car is running, there is a separate circuit for start up which will deliver full power to the coil so its easier to start.

Since the 4age does not use points there shouldn't be a need to run the resistor at least for the coil you are planning to run. There wouldn't be an internal resistor. Take for an example the MSD Blaster coils, I believe the blaster 2 coil comes with a resistor (the white ceramic thing about 13x50mm) and should only be used on cars running points.

So in short just get the non resistor type, or if you want get the one with the resistor but there is no point as if you would use it you would only get a weaker spark.

Cheers, David