Smile

Gripping on hills?...

cheap setup
    *chop springs
    *OK working condition shocks
    *80% Grip on tyres
    *working brakes
    *drive within ur limits

i use to do hill climbs on a weekly basis, Friday nights, and the same hill on saturday night xD

that was pritty much what i had on my ae86 since it was pretty much just pure stock, BUT my brakes were faulty and only worked properly 70% of the time while hill climbing, YES i would of died easy but its cuz i know my car and driving style so im still alive

anyways, im just saying, doesnt take much to have a good time, and thats all that matters
    dose

Name
    Tim
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

He is talking competition climbs I think you might find. A nice size wheel will do you good aswell. Get some 14 or 15 x 7's and they should grip nicely.

Name
    Brodie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah wanna compete

still keen to hit up some local twistys. been to a few around my area just with cutties and fresh brake pads with brand new tires and goes alright but nowhere near what i wnt to get out of it. hopefully have 14x7's and 14x7.5's in feb

is there a certain size swaybar i should look at for front and back? should be ordering them tomoro

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Don't go a locker they're fuckin gross. Makes pushes the car in corners and adversely affects handling characteristics.

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

never had an issue always oversteery only downside is the nasty binding turning tight corners slowly eg: car parks
    Owner built and tuned 9000rpm 402kw atw 3sGTE - AE86

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    4ages are for the scared

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Go from a locker to an LSD with otherwise the same car setup and you'll see how badly they affect handling. Because in grip driving the outside rear wheel should be spinning quicker than the inside rear wheel in a corner. If it doesn't, 2 things happen. 1 - The outside wheel slips a certain amount - this causes the rear to get tailly hence the oversteer. However this will only usually happen in power over circumstances. 2 - The rear wheel doesn't slip enough and therefore the rear of the car "pushes" the front of the car to compensate, causing understeer and front end push. This was the main thing that I felt was different when I changed a locked diff to an LSD in a car with about 2500 dollars worth of suspension.
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 21st January 2009 at 09:05 AM.

Name
    Corey
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hello
    I would only go with a soft brake pad, like a quality standard one. Remember your brakes will be dead cold when you start and the tracks are fairly short. You wont get a track pad warm enough to really grip. Buy a second set of tyres just to use at hillclimb if you can and then get a road legal semi slick to run, easiest performance mod to do. They will last ages if you only use them at hillclimbs. The suspension mods people have listed are good. Remember that a drift set up wont make you fast. It is all about precision and grip. The other things to look at are diff ratios. You dont have a huge amount of grunt so you need to use all the gears to get up hills. The top speed isnt actually that high at a hillclimb.
    Hope that helps a little
    Corey

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

the outside wheel turns faster not the inside and ive driven torsen lsd's, nismo lsd's, kaaz, trd, locked welded, and viscous lsd(if u can even call them an lsd) and open centres at the track.

the reason i dont get pushing coming into the corner is becaust the inside rear wheel has bugger all weight on it ( castor, steering wheel jack and g-force make this happen, and most race cars at the local track still use just locked diffs....
    Owner built and tuned 9000rpm 402kw atw 3sGTE - AE86

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    4ages are for the scared

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yeah sorry outside wheel spins faster - late at night when I typed that
    It's okay for full track cars to do it because as you increase outright grip through tyres and suspension setup the whole handling change that a locker brings isn't as noticeable - especially on a track.

On the street in the hills, give me an lsd ANYDAY. Even on a track, still give me an lsd anyday.

Bad Email Address

OMG you can actually get up hills in your 4k brodie??

all jokes aside should be good beginners car with any of the above listed suspension mods, maybe also consider a 4AGE or something along the line aswell

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast