Thread: 4AGE Vacuum Lines

Name
    Marko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default 4AGE Vacuum Lines

Just double checking, are the vacuum line nipples under the throttle body on a RWD 4age all at the same pressure as everywhere else, and it would be idea to run all of my vacuum powered items (BOV, external gate, gauge) from them?
    I understand that vacuum is vacuum but just double checking that there not some weird emissions thing.

Cheers!

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Well the bottom one should definitely be fine, as its purpose it to allow more air into the manifold (under vacuum) when the air conditioning is switched on to compensate for the added load of the compressor.

The 2 above are for the power steering system and from memory that entire bottom chamber is all interlinked so they should act the same as the bottom one.

So in short, as far as I'm aware they are just standard vacuum ports.

One last thing to note though the very bottom 2 ports which point down are water ports so don't try to use them.

Tried to call you today also, I've got a tailshaft for you if still need one.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

A normal wastegate has the vacuum line coming from either the intercooler pipe or the turbo compressor (not from the plenium). For an external wastegate, you may have 2 vacuum lines to it. 1 from the turbo compressor (or cooler pipes), and the other from the plenium. Use google images for common setups.

Name
    Marko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I have the wastegate lines sorted.
    You can use either 1 or both the fittings on the gate (external) the top one mainly being for adding pressure to the spring to increase the psi the turbo will pump, or in an electronic boost setup where the controller will hold down the piston until it reaches the desired setting (called gain on blitz units). My trust gate does have 2 vacuum fittings on the bottom which is was you may be referring to though-I will only be using one.

I prefer running vacuum lines for external gates from the throttle side so that the efficiency and fluctuation in temps of the intercooler has no say on the overall boost pressure. I find that it holds boost alot steadier, and my mind is more at ease know that the pressure in the inlet is exactly what everything else is getting.

Cheers Golberg,
    I knew had no idea about the water pipes, dont have to bother blocking them up anymore! I'm pulling most pressure lines from the 3 port 7/64" distributor that bolts along the plentinum (spelling?? haha) just need something a little bigger for the wategate and bov lines-all sorted now.
    I'll call you today about the tail shaft.