Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: How to: Guard flaring

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i am trying really hard not to come across as high and mighty, but what youve done really isnt a good way to flair guards.

i only say this because the pictures really don't show enough detail. as in the end result.

its just a pretty big deal to cut on the car there, and not really get it right, rear 1/4s are not easily replaced if youre not happy with how it turns out.

would be good to see some oblique shots so people car really see how it looks on the edge. just don't want people to get led a stray. i will take some photos when i cut the other side of my guards open, so you can all see what is up inside there, so you know what youre dealing with.
    78's

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slydar @ Mar 25 2008, 10:39 PM) </div>it looked good. i, of all people, hate to hear someone think they are the bomb etc *points at medwin*, but they turned out fairly damn good. with a day's more sanding/primer filler, there's no reason why they couldn't be "perfect"

BUT in saying that, as soon as the 'bogged' area has a large impact with anything (in our case, a hammer, trying to massage the inner guard more), you are up shit creek

soon after that article we cut out all the hard work and bolted on some origin flares, which look bloody good with bugger all effort, and still manage to fit rob's rather large wheels

conclusion: bolt on guards are easy, flaring is time consuming.
    4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Bad Email Address

thanks very much for being innovative and putting this thread up here. helps all of us figure out the best ways to do it. i think this is an easier way of doing it, whereas some people prefer to take the guard back to bare metal and then heat it in order for it to expand and so on... i have heard of using traditional lead crastmenship too?

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ok its my turn. This is how we did mine. The old man did most of the work because he used to be a panel beater. hmmmm he will come in hand later down the track. Well here it goes.

This is it before work began
    [attachment=24140:12052007_005_.jpg]
    We started by bending out the guard and grinding all the crap off the guard
    [attachment=24141:12052007_012_.jpg]
    To get a good amount of flare without creasing the guard we had to cut the shit out of it then weld in pieces to strengthen it again.
    [attachment=24142:12052007_014_.jpg]
    Front guard before being attacked
    [attachment=24143:12052007_015_.jpg]
    Front guard after being attacked.
    [attachment=24144:12052007_016_.jpg]
    Rear guard before
    [attachment=24145:13052007.jpg]
    That is how they looked after the flaring. All we did here was stretch the metal out with a ball pien hammer. Note that we didn't have to cut anything in the rear but one of the guards did split on the inside so strip of metal was welded in
    [attachment=24146:13052007_002_.jpg]
    Smoothing up the rear guards
    [attachment=24150:13052007_003_.jpg]
    All primed and ready for paint
    [attachment=24152:18052007.jpg]
    Painted black before colour
    [attachment=24158:19052007_001_.jpg]
    Finished Product
    [attachment=24156:hachi_backside.jpg]
    [attachment=24157:hachi_frontside.jpg]

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

dam that looks so nice. great work
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    Todd
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

and the fitment front and rear looks very good.

i guess that might shutup the people who were saying that cutting the guards is a bad way to go about flaring guards?

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (todd @ Mar 28 2008, 02:10 PM) </div>I hope so..
    Its not a bad way to flare your guards as long as you WELD pieces over the cuts to strengthen it again. None of this fiberglass patch up shit. If your gonna do it then spend the extra time and do it right.

Bad Email Address

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (todd @ Mar 28 2008, 03:10 PM) </div>
    i guess that there is only one way to do everything hay todd, this thread is not a how 2 but a thread to give people undertaking this mod to get some ideas and go about it their own way. there is no right and wrong and if u think cutting the guards is the gospel way to do it then go ahead. yeah the job above looks awsome, but his dad was a panel beater, or did u forget that. he pretty much has a professional job i think u could say. like i said i did my fronts without warping the guard and not deforming it and i haven cut a thing, other pple have had the sam success, pple have also had success cutting and welding. if u want to cut em go for it. but don't come on her and slam down other ppls successful methods!

& MrMatt your old man has done a great job! good stuff

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

i have seen cut and welded rear guards crack the weld.

on my ke i had rust in the rear quarters so it had to be cut and a new piece welded in, so while this was being down they where flared with pliers, hammer and dolly. how ever i would have still flared with this method if the guards didn't have any rust. ultimately if you don't need to move them a long way then cutting isnt nessesary but if you need to clear big wheels then this may be the only option other than bolt-ons or wide body panels.

agreed on the top job above.

Name
    Todd
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SNAP @ Mar 29 2008, 12:39 PM) </div>
    haha mate pipe down, if u bothered to read the whole thread i comment on other techniques that give sweet results, its just there was a fuss made about how 'wrong and bad' it was to cut guards. the reason for my comment was because his dad is a professional panel beater and cutting the guards was the way a PROFESSIONAL went about flaring his sons guards, which means it must be a good way of doing so.

in the near future i will be flaring my own guards and i WILL NOT be cutting guards purely because i don't own a welder nor the skills, and for this reason i will be doing it a different way to that shown above.

so leave the crap out of this thread as u obviously did not understand what i was saying.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast