Thread: How to: Guard flaring

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Got some big offset wheels? Guard roller can't get it done? Don't want ridiculous looking riveted-on guards? This is one of the few ways to get around it

I will start by saying, this isn't the hardest mod to do at all, but it takes time and is awfully brutal to do something that's nice. Since this wasn't my own car, and rob wanted to model his car around his wheels, then this was the go.

Brand new Work Equip 03's. 8.5" wide, with -22 offset. These are possibly one of the best wheels there is that could grace an 86.

Obviously, they will never ever ever fit under standard guards, even with the slightly stretched tyres as seen below.

So, guard flare time. First, get one of your minions to jack up the car

We're going to be cutting slits in the guard, allowing us to pull out significantly more metal than with a guard roller. It won't warp the area above the
    guard either!

Yours truly cutting the shit out the guard. Would be a nightmare to any car owner seeing this happen .. but it only gets worse.

Now, you can pull out the outer lip by itself, or if you are requiring even more clearance, you can pull out the inner lip. You can vaguely see what i mean.

More of above

Now you can see where the outer lip finishes (white), and the inner lip has been pulled out (silvery-brown area). Looking terrible isn't it?

4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Now you can start to see how much the guard is coming out over stock. Where the masking tape is, the guard went straight down, now instead has come out on an angle well over an inch.

Test fitting the wheel, you can see that we're getting pretty close to the size we need to clear the wheel/tyre combo.

On the second furthest right cut, and the furthest left cut, you can see that the lip has been ground down a bit on an angle by the grinder to keep the shape of the guard a little.

Next step can be done by silicon, or by welding. I'd suggest the latter, but we didn't have the time, nor care for it. See below for more info.

We didn't show it, but the inner guard and outer guard were tack welded together, and were stopping additional flaring. We had to cut these tacks, and remove the offending pieces of inner guard. This now left a gap between the inner and outer. Unprotected metal + moisture = rust, which most ae86's will have enough of this to start with. So we sealed it up with silicon! Simple!

On with the fibreglass! Remember, wear gloves, and dont rub your eyes when you're handling the stuff. It hurts, trust jesus!

With the fibreglass on, and now sanded back, we started with the body filler. Sure, we put heaps on, and 90% of it is going to be sanded off anyway, but we didnt have time on our hands.

After a couple of layers of filler and sanding, we were getting fairly happy with the shape. Dremel with a cut-off blade was then used to neatly cut (lol) a better shape to the guard.

^ Clicky clicky!

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

A few coats of primer-filler (primer, thats slightly thicker, so can fill in little scratches and dimples), a few dabs of nitro-cellulose(?) putty (to fill in bigger imperfections), now all we had to do was wait for the paint and such to dry overnight.

Next morning, sanded it back and put some more filler in places we werent happy with, and applied more primer filler.

Loads of little imperfections, scratches, or humps. Very very minor so they were just filled with putty.

One can of export's finest, and things were looking bettereerrerrer.

Not bad for a can job, at night, with the weather against us.

And the finished product. Sexy time.

Yum

We rushed this somewhat, as rob is an impatient kent, and it still took 2 'full' days. The main time burner is the drying of fibreglass, body filler, and paint ..

There will be problems with the spulling and,grammers,,,of this article. But leave that be, i'm tired. Thanks, Seamus

^ Clicky clicky!

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

you, my man, are a f**king legend.

top top top post and info, shall help many. i might even do it to my bluey so i can fit the exact same wheel on there!

Name
    ADAM
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Is this in the FAQ section? best thread ever!! thankyou so much 70XIN.

Name
    Seth
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Not bad

Of course you can flare without cutting the guard as much. Rolling out the guard then using a good hammer does a similar job. You have to separate the inner guard from the outer though and add in a bit of sheet metal to fill in the gap. Pushes the whole guard out not just the lip. Your way would be easier for most.

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

well done.

finally someoe who puts effort into documenting what they do
    so others can learn also

p.s. i just sounded like a fag didnt i?

haha

Name
    Joash
    State
    Tasmania
    Country
    Australia

Yea good write up

Only thing i would suggest is to get the hammer and dolly and get a better shape out of the metal.
    For instance

First pic in 3rd post you can see mainly the bottom of the metal flares out... like a half pipe

Probably look better if it pumped out more to the bottom of the guard

Dam hard to explain

Meh looks sick anyways

Name
    Joash
    State
    Tasmania
    Country
    Australia

ah and you should have welded those guards

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

hey quick question, how did you get the paint to look so good from a can? I repainted a similar area on my car but looks crap as compared to yours, i couldn't get a very good gloss finish. Was is just a clear top coat over the paint?

Cheers

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast