Thread: Are Bigport and Smallport dizzy caps the same?

Name
    Mike
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

I have tome trd leads for a 4age but they are to big for my dizzy cap...
    whats the story?

Are there a few different dizzy caps ?

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I am guessing here, (had a few beers also) but the dizzy caps are different. But they are probably interchangable.

I am guessing you want a bigport dizzy cap, and it should work.

Name
    Bert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i have a jap Bigport, and i went to bursons and ordered a new "4age dizzy cap and rotor" as mine were fairly screwed, get home try and put it on, the rotor is like 50% larger and the cap is so close to fitting but i don't want to force it on, i don't think it is the same.

i don't know if this will still work even thou its such a tight fit, the cars not running i thought id change some basics coz i have the time at the moment.

parrot

Think Jonny must have been pissed. :lol:

There are a number of differences from size of hole the lead goes into, tiny compared to 'normal'. angle of lead output from cap, and also position of the little slot that the cap sits in on the body.

Depends on the donor, bigport vs smallport vs AE86 vs AE82 vs AW11 vs AE92 etc.

Bursons etc are hopeless. Probably best to contact AJPS as Dave will know the story and probably have a cap to suit.

Hopefully you can still use your leads.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I would only have to go to the online TRD catalog and I could find how many different leads they make for 4A-GEs.

is not the correct site.

parrot

Except for some small port dizzies having the small holes for leads, I think the only difference in leads is that some are shorter or longer to suit whether the leads go straight up from the cap or out at a 90 degree angle.

The TRD ones I have are not the right ones for my configuration, it just means they are a bit messier, still work fine though.

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

there are a couple of differences,

smallport dizzy's, if i remember correctly have the bolt holes for the cap exactly opposite each other and the leads come out the top of the cap.

bigport JDM sprinter dizzys have the bolt holes slightly offset and the leads are out the side, i think they are also different as TRD leads don't fit the smallport caps properly.

not sure about the other FWD bigport caps, but i do know that some of the bigport dizzy caps have a blanked out hole to suit the rwd dizzy bolt pattern and you can get these with the lead outlets on the top, which is better as it stops the leads dangling over the hot exhaust pipes.

Name
    Mike
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Cheers dudes.
    so my best option is to find a complete bigport dizzy assembily?

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

FWD and RWD bigport dizzy's are different. The part no. that bosch now list for an ae82 4age is actually an ae86 4age cap (ive tried 4 different auto shops). I found another auto shop which always have N.O.S. on hand. The part no. was the same, box was older skool (obviously) but it was correct.

The bolt holes on the cap are different and wont line up, and the cap has the terminals pointing up on the fwd and out to the side on ae86.
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Name
    Terry
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

there are basically 3 different 4AG distributors:
    rear drive 86kw. this has leads coming out the top of the cap. This is a big-port engine only
    front drive 86kw. this has leads coming out the side of the cap. This is a big-port engine only
    front drive 92kw. this has leads coming out the side of the cap. This is a small-port engine only

if I remember correctly, you cannot interchange the igniter or ECU. In other words, you need the correct igniter & ECU for each dissy. To make it simple, the plugs on the dissys are different. round 4 wire, flat 3 wire, flat 4 wire

all of the leads have the same size pin going into the cap, so you can swap around a bit. The caps that take the side feed leads, have 3 ends at 90 degress and 1 straight.

the caps DO NOT interchange. we have caps and rotors at work for all of them. pm me if you want