Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default Interesting read bout getting a 4age legal in SA

many thanks to 'turbo rolla' who went through the process

The SOR is issued to individual vehicles and the acceptance of a modification does not set a precedent
    Wouldn’t want anyone reading this, doing what I’ve done and expecting that they’ll let your car through too just because they let mine through, as all cases are different.

Also, should mention what i've done to my vehcile, as you cant expect them to let your 4age conversion through on brakes that were designed for a 50kw or so car
    1. JDM 4age - as long as you use a 16v you'll be fine - may be a different story with 20v due to increased power
    2. t-18 diff
    3. JDM AE86 Ventilated discs (if you dont have these or willing to get these, dont bother applying as you'll get knocked back )

Anyway, this basically outlines what I did in order to get my ke70 4age install made “legal” through regency.

You have two options when doing an engine conversion – you can get it engineered, and then checked over through Regency, or you can get them to issue a “statement of requirements” which will outline the changes they require you to make to the vehicle in order for it to be deemed road worthy. Obviously this second option is preferable as engineering can be quite expensive (I was quoted about $1600-$2000). There is no “set amount” for what they will accept, BUT I believe they work on about 20% increase in capacity or 20% increase in power?

Following a successful inspection for a “statement of requirements”, the Dept of Transport will issue you with a “certificate of exemption”, which effectively gives you free reign to thrash the f$#k out of your 4age knowing that its legal and covered if anything happens!

Here is some legal jargon from their site, as well as a copy of the form you have to send in:

ENGINE CHANGES REQUIRING A STATEMENT OF REQUIREMENTS (SOR)

Engine changes, which are not specified in the Category 1 engine change list or Automotive Instruction, require a SOR to be issued and the vehicle inspected on completion of the modifications.

The SOR is issued to individual vehicles and the acceptance of a modification does not set a precedent.

It is important to realise that the SOR does not mean that the vehicle is acceptable to be driven on the road. It is only after the Certificate of Exemption has been issued that the vehicle is considered to comply with the requirements of The Road Traffic Act and Regulations.

Procedure to obtain a Statement of Requirements
    a. Contact Transport SA to obtain information as to the acceptability of the proposal and the appropriate application form.

b. Complete and submit an Application to Modify a Motor Vehicle form together with any other relevant documents eg. Engineering reports in the case of extensively modified vehicles.

c. If the proposal is acceptable, Transport SA will issue a SOR. If the proposal is not acceptable the applicant will be advised in writing.

If additional information is required before a SOR can be given further consideration, the applicant will be contacted either by telephone or in writing.

d. Once the SOR is received the proposed alteration may be commenced. On completion of the alteration the applicant or the applicant’s representative, may arrange a booking for an inspection. When making a booking for inspection please quote the reference listed on the SOR. A fee is payable for the inspection. Inspections can be arranged by telephoning Transport SA on 8348 9555 for metropolitan Adelaide bookings. For country inspection please ring 8348 9600 or 1800 643 849.

e. At the allocated inspection time, the vehicle is to be presented for inspection with the SOR being handed to the inspecting officer.

f. It is advised that the person presenting the vehicle arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the allocated time, so that the necessary paperwork can be checked and the inspection fee paid (mine cost $205 and went for about 40 minutes)

g. If the vehicle fails the inspection, reinspection at a later date is required. A fee is payable for the inspection. After rectification of all faults the applicant, or the applicant’s representative, may contact Transport SA and arrange a booking for reinspection.

h. After the vehicle has passed inspection, the Registrar of Motor Vehicles will be advised of the new engine number and capacity and a Certificate of Exemption will be forwarded to the registered owner.

THE APPLICATION
    The first main step of the whole process is completing the application to modify form and sending it in. In this, you basically want to convince and demonstrate to Transport SA that the modifications you are performing on your vehicle are effectively BOLT ON, with little/no modification required to any structural components. For example, I completed the form and then sent in a 1-page letter accompanying this to try and get my point across.

Now, I wont put up the exact letter I sent in, but I will outline the main points that I mentioned:
    1. I advised that I was LOOKING INTO doing an engine conversion, and then detailed that it was going into a ke70 with 4k-c engine, and being replaced with a 4AGE out of a JDM Sprinter – even though I’d done it, the legislation basically says you apply for it, get permission, then do it so just kept with that.

2.Mentioned that the swap was relatively straight forward, and if the compliance costs were not excessive (ie engineering required) then I would go ahead with the conversion.

I then went into detail of what the conversion itself entailed, and what modifications would be made:
    3. AE86 engine x-member used to mount 4age will be used. Cross member bolts in directly to ke70, and engine mounts directly onto this. No modification required
    4. AE86 gearbox x-member used to support gearbox – again, bolts in directly with no modification required
    5. 16 Valve JDM 4AGE engine to replace 4k-c. Engine is RWD format already, so no modification required – will bolt straight onto the engine cross member
    6. AE86 complete front struts and steering arms for suspension to replace standard ke70 items – allows for better shock absorbers and springs to be used, as well as ability to upgrade brakes – again no modification required.
    7. JDM AE86 Springs brakes – calipers – these are direct bolt on to the AE86 struts. Will result in 234mm vented rotors being able to be run, which is a decent upgrade from the standard 218mm solid rotors – again, no modification required.
    8. T-18 corolla diff – whole diff, including drums – direct bolt in with no modification required. Drums on this diff are larger than the standard items on ke70
    9. JDM AE86 tailshaft – links in directly with the gearbox and bolts straight to the diff – again, no modification required
    10. Engine will not be modified in any way, and will run standard engine management

I then went onto just confirm the similarities between the KE70 & AE86’s – ie share a very similar platform (more-so for the AE71 obviously), which allows the conversion to be done with relative ease

Finally I followed up by effectively asking “due to the similarity of the “donor” vehicle and my ke70, whether the above modification could be completed and brought through for an inspection or roadworthy test. Again, I put forward my view that the costs incurred for engineering would not only be excessive, but unwarranted as the upgrade will take part with standard parts from an AE86 that bolt into my vehicle, and that this combination had effectively been tried and tested to be safe in accordance with the Australian Vehicle Standards in the form of the AE86

One thing that might be worth putting into your application to further strengthen your claim for approval is the fact that the JDM TE71/TE72's had the 2T-GEU motor which produced approx 85kw - now, if you're putting in a JDM 4AGE like i did, which is 96kw, this is only a 15% power increase - this probably isnt sufficient for you to drive around without getting it checked out, BUT, it is another argument against engineering (which, among other things, is interested in torsion rigidity), as the platform has already been shown to handle 85kw from these motors.

I didnt put this in as i didnt know at the time - When i actually rang Regency late on a friday arvo after i faxed my application through (on the way to buy a new car having resigned myself i'd need engineering!!!! ) to see if it'd been rejected, the guy i spoke to (and who assessed my application) raised this point above, that the TE71/TE72 had the 2T-GEU motors, and therefore wouldnt need engineering. Needless to say, i then cancelled the viewing of the new car

THE INSPECTION
    The run-down of the inspection for me was as follows:
    1. Bring the car through to the big shed doors, then drive it over the pit the guy tells ya to
    2. He got me to run through all the lights, front and rear demisters, horn
    3. He jumped under it with his torch and checked it all out pretty closely
    4. Jacked it up slightly and then put some tension on the lower controls arms
    5. Back up to the engine bay to suss out the wiring, and emissions gear
    6. Over to the brake test machine - gets you up to 60km/hr i think on the rollers, then gets you to brake - tests the brake bias (ie does left side brake harder than right side, which could pull the car one way when braking), then the same for the rears.
    On this point - there's a panel just in front of you and to the right which shows the readings etc and "pass" of "fail" - fronts passed, but my rears failed on the first shot - he got me to do it again and it passed - what i recommend is to brake slowish (firm braking, but not stomping on them), as that was the difference between me failing the first test on the rears (Stomping) and passing (gradual depression of the pedal)
    7. Exhaust analyser - puts a mic next to the drivers door and one at the exhaust - for our cars the max limit is 94dB i think - i had 92dB and thats with extractors, 2" system, hi-flow cat and magnaflow muffler
    8. Test drive around the block, then back in
    9. checked my tint - was too dark on front so he handed me a razor and it came off

He got one of his collegues over a couple of times for a second opinion, but nothing came of it (was worried shitless though!). The few things he mentioned to me, but let me through on were:
    1. gearbox x-member was only secured by one bolt (not sure if it can actually bolt up with 2 bolts with the ae86 xmember) - suggested i make something up to give it a bit more strength
    2. lower control arm was secured with a bolt and nut without locking mechanism on it (like the top of suspension tops)
    3. pod filter - was wedged between the radiator and carbon canister and not much movement, but said a cop might get a bit picky if they saw it and to try and secure it a bit better
    4. tint - has to let through 70% on the front, and made me take it off then and there

Um, what other pointers can i give???? Nothing really extra other than having the car prepared as if it were going through for a defect check:
    All exterior lights working (parkers, indicators, low beams, high beams, hazards, brakes, reverse), Horn works
    Front and rear demisters working (ie fan at the front, click button for rear window
    Engine bay nice and tidy - i spent a few hours the night before cleaning up lots of tacky looking wires
    No oil leaks anywhere
    Stock suspension and rims - made it look like a grandpas car - f#$k, put on rear louvers if you're keen
    Stock steering wheel

You want to give them NO reason to fail you - this means having the car tidy and well presented, being polite and just sitting there while they go over it - answering their questions respectfully etc. If you go in with attitude they'll treat you accordingly. The guy i had and the other two who were there were quite good IMO - had a chat with them, and didnt have any problems. At the end of the day, they do this shit day in and day out, so are gonna be able to spot dodgy stuff a mile off, so take the time, do it properly, and make your car safe for you and the other road users - remember, they just want to see that your car is safe to be on the road

I think that's it for now - if anyone has any questions or any other points to mention (has anyone else got through with this????), feel free to bring them up.

Thanks!

Name
    Jordan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

good read

but keep in mind that the KE70 (AE71, exactly the same car with a 1600 and an SR sticker) came with a 4A-engine. 1300cc to 1600cc is a 18% increase so below the threshold anyway. Also remembering that All 4AGE / 4AF / 4AFE / 4A-C all have engine numbers 4AXXXXXXXXX. In essence you can save time money and cash (in SA) and simply fill in a "change of engine / colour from" at the motor rego office for FREE and it's all hunky dory. How do you reckon I got the CA18 registered legally in my TA22. It sure didn't go over the pits at regency

Good read and very good information for less simple engine swaps but for future reference just fill in the form. It's free and there is no inspection.

Cheers
    Jordan
    Last edited by jfallen; 27th December 2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: grammer
    Future ride:
    FT-86.
    Current rides:
    CAA22 Celica, 2000 Caldina GT-T manual, 1966 RT40 corona,
    Previous Rides
    86 hilux, 4xKE55's, 3xTA22, RA28, 2xRT40, 2xST185, KE10, 180B, RT132

Just Half Steppin

^^^the reason it was done the long hard way was so that in future if it does get defected and needs to clear regency, he can simple roll straight through

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

good read huw! you learn something everyday

This will help a lot of people indeed!

Name
    Josh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

wicked thanks for the info. a 4age will be on it's way lol
    Last edited by KKUSTOM; 25th August 2009 at 07:18 PM.

Name
    Alex
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

it better be
    Formerly known as grape_moosha

Name
    Svenbot
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

pff. Alex look who ur talking about.

hes gonna spend money on stock horn buttons and door locks before a 4age :p

nah, love ya j-man
    Quote Originally Posted by mike86 View Post
    I heard svenmate research and development designed the moon. And the moon landing was just them eating breakfast.
    AE71 Build Thread

Name
    Josh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

LOL it is true LOL

Name
    Zac
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

good write up. Thanks!
    I own an ae86 and have almost completely swapped the 4ac to a RWD converted smallport. I rang Rory Thompson engineering around 2 years ago, and had a lengthy conversation with him where he said as long as the motor is toyota, same capacity and naturally aspirated i dont need to apply for any sort of checks...

i know this was two years ago... but does anyone know if things have changed?
    as the 4ac to 100kw 4age is quite a significant jump in power, have i been mislead to what i require in order to be legal? e.g - brake upgrade?

can anyone shed some light as to what my best options are, as i want to keep it legal, and hope for it to be comprehensively insured in the future also...

thanks guys

Name
    stephen
    State
    south australia
    Country
    australia

yeah im in the middle of getting my 86 over jsut finished rebuild my motor to replace the one in the so that way i got no oil leaks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast