Thread: Fuel pumps

Name
    Josh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Hey guys and gals,
    Just wondering if anyone else has a problem with their fuel pump?
    Ever since i have had my car i have heard a strange gurgling sound, sort of like the poor car is struggling to get any fuel, or my fuel tank is empty (even though it has a full tank)
    Naturally i had a look at it and i found that the last bugger that owned it has put an external fuel pump in, instead of an in tank one. stupid i know.
    But it dosent get better, i found out that the fuel pump itself isnt even an after market one, just an off the shelf job.
    Also on closer inspection by a friend i was told that my fuel pump is sucking fuel from the bottom of the tank, up the pipe to the top of the tank then back down again outside and then finally actually reaching the pump.
    Got me thinking, should i get my tank looked at by a professional or is there a way of me fixing it myself.
    Please i need some help with this one, i don't know too much about this sort of thing. Thanks
    Originally posted by AJPS

"I would of given a thumbs up, but my face was in some super models breasts covered with coke"

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Have you checked the fuel lines for blockages?

I'm running an external fuel pump in mine as well and it's going fine, maybe replace the current external pump and see what happens

Name
    Josh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (i-like-eggs @ Feb 14 2008, 07:08 PM) </div>The fuel lines are all clear, what about the piping of it. sounds strange to me.
    Originally posted by AJPS

"I would of given a thumbs up, but my face was in some super models breasts covered with coke"

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

what car?

asuming that its a sprinter, do you have a 4age or 4ac (guessing 4age seeing as you have an elec pump)?

if it is has an ADM tank (most likely, dosent have baffles). you should be using a surge tank in the system. incase you don't know, you then have a lift pump to fill the surge tank and a main pump that pumps it to the motor.

also "off the shelf" refures to a part that isnt custom, so majority of aftermarket part would be considered off the shelf. do you mean a factory one from another car? there would be several pumps that would be more than upto the job.

Name
    Tones
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

ran a simmilar setup for some time without any problems, although i now run a surge tank setup with my lifter pump alone being more than enough to power two 4age's and my feed pump flowing even more.

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

most people say that as long as you don't go below half a tank you can get away without a surge tank but for what it costs and once its set-up then you don't exactly have to touch it again for many more years.