Thread: Charging a Dry-Cell

Name
    Bert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

hey guys,

ive got a small Odyssey Dry Cell battery, and ive been charging it up a lot lately, as my cars alternator isnt working propperly, so every time we do some minor things, to run the car again, we need to charge the batt again.

there are 2 points i don't like about charging my battery,

it gets VERY warm, once it was almost too hot to touch, and also there is somtimes a hissing noise coming from the battery.

i have heard that you can kill dry cell batteries by having them on low->no charge for long periods of time, and i fear i may have killed mine.

any advice?

PS. if the battery was f**cked could this possibly be why my alternator "ISNT" working, i figure if its struggling to charge with the wall charger, maybe it is just charging too slow with the alternator, so the power is always going down, and ultimately flattens the battery.

cheers,
    Albert

gunbz-r

to charge a dry cell it needs to be on the lowest setting possible (lowest amperage?)do not use one of those arlec charges with one setting and yes if they are left uncharged they do not like charging. usually after a couple weeks from my experience.

the battery should not be interupting any of the charging duties of the battery that i know of, i may be wrong.

if the battery was that hot and hissing, its cooked, might be from the charger being too strong. replace and get the battery checked too make sure it is stuffed.

Name
    Bert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

doesnt sound good, hmmm.

ive got daily with a 475 cca in good condition, I'm thinking of putting that into my sprinter and seeing if its going to run any better, just to rule out the battery as the cause for low output from the alternator.

thanks for that advice, i will be buying a good charger now.