Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4agze > MA71 W5x gearbox > ae86 Diff - How?

Bad Email Address

Hi,
    I am awaiting delivery of my 4agze engine to drop in my AE86. I am doing a gearbox conversion, a w5x gearbox from a MA71, that is no problem, as I already have bellhousing converter, so should bolt on fine.

I am wondering though, how do I connect this gearbox to my AE86 diff?

I have the supra and ae86 prop shaft, is there a bolt in solution here? The only thing I've been told is to cut the prop shaft and splice them together, which seems a bit extreme and unreliable to me, is there another way? how have others done it?

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

that is pretty much the only thing you can do, and if you pay someone to do it that knows what they are doing (driveshaft joint) then it should be just as reliable as a factory unit, as they will balance it etc...

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Or make one up from scratch. Keep in mind if you start breaking diffs with the extra torque and decide to upgrade the diff, you'll need to get the tailshaft modded again to fit. I'd do the diff straight up with the gearbox as well. If you're in Sydney, use Sydney Driveline Service in Greenacre. Top quality work.

Eddie.
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

Bad Email Address

Thanks for replies, was the answer I didn't want to hear but I guess I'll have to do it that way then.

No plans to uprate the diff, I'm hoping it will cope ok with the added torque.

I'm not in Sydney I'm afraid

Bad Email Address

Another question, while I'm here: What actually will need doing to the prop shafts?, I obviously need the supra half for gearbox, and ae86 half for diff, but where should the cut be made, and does it need to be shortened or anything as ae86 is not as long as a supra?

gunbz-r

what u will find most shops will do, is take the shafts u already have, on an exchange basis, this is done so they can take the uni joints and reco them.

anyway, they will get a new(reco)yoke and uni from the supra side of the shaft, make a one piece shaft that is ended with uni and flange to suit the sprinter diff, very easy, and will only cost about $400-$500 on average. some shops, will modify the standard tailshaft to suit, but alot of shops frown upon this, and will fabricate a whole new shaft.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

you should put your area in your profile, or at least left it in your reply, so people can make relevant suggestions as to where to get your tail shaft made.

this is how everyone, with every type of car with an engine or gearbox or diff conversion has it done, its nothing to be afraid of.

something to not is that in alot of cases, you will get away with the same tailshaft with S, T or E series diffs as they all have the same pcd on the drive flange and only vary about 20mm length in total.

78's

I've also heard that an RA40 front section and AE86 rear section of tailshaft will suit a W5* box installation.

May be worth checking for cheap. Or get a custom one as advised above.

Hen

Name
    Aaron
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hen is a total nutcase @ Mar 26 2008, 11:54 AM) </div>Correct. This is what I did in my old car. I have heard people saying that it needs modification, but it just lined up and bolted in when I did it.

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

th center bearing cover is to small in witdth to bolt it in. Its the wrong angle as well.

having said that, i used an ra60/65 front part, slightly modded a few things and it seems to work
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast