Thread: Motec VS Wolf 3D

Bad Email Address

Hey I'm planning on putting in a new ECU ..

Motec 2D v4.1
    or
    Wolf 3D AEM (not sure what version, its all RED and comes with hand controller)

is the difference between the two that big ??

**note: Motec is already hooked up to the loom..**

cheers

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I'm not sure what a motec 2D is but go for the motec, whatever model it is.

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

If you do go with a wolf, make sure you get the laptop tuneable version. Otherwise tuning it takes alot longer as it all has to be done via the hand control.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I agree the older Wolf 3D is a pain to tune. You can tune it very well of course, but it just takes time.

The old Wolf 3D (hand controler only) would be on par with the old MicroTech MT8 (hand controler only).

Wolf 3D version 4, V400, V500 are the laptop versions. V500 is current.

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

A friend of mine has a v400 in his ta22. It's quite a machine, has been upgraded to v500 software specs but is not quite on par due to hardware constraints. He is running a TPS based system supported by MAP for closed/slight throttle which was quite a chore to setup, required an external map sensor run through an auxilliary input. The computer software is also quite a bit more complex than say the EMS dualsport software and requires a good understanding to tune. Other than that, it is quite a powerful setup and for around $1200 it is also reasonably priced.

Bad Email Address

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (af300e @ Apr 6 2008, 04:28 PM) </div>
    I have had both a V3 and V4 and the V4 is light years ahead of the V3 . The problem with the v3 is the mapping is to course in adjustment in the below 2000rpm when the duty cycle is around 1% .This gets worser WHEN you USE large CC injectors . ALSO the warm up map is very limited in Adjustment . SO main problem is getting a Stable smooth idle with large CC injectors . Mid range to high rpm isn`t a problem . With small injectors and low boost or no boost things are not as bad .
    The V4 /400 they FIxed all the above problems of the V3 and made every thing adjustable in very FINE Adjustments at any temp range , But the problem is that there is SO SO many things you can adjust and the V500 there is even more , You can get a Bit LOST on what to adjust first , and Not all the Adjustments Get used to a advantage by the Tuner due to tunning Time . So to get the Best out of the V4 easily You must use the a LAP TOP with the Latest SOFTWARE from wolf to understand how whats happening live . The more adjustment Corrections you can use the finer your tune , I recon most people use the wrong adjustment correction in the Map and Bag the ECU for being Crap as the cheaper ECU`s on the market don't have these fine corrections . But if Know what to adjust there is many features in this ecu you can use to get your engine running Sweet , with very stable AFRs in the lower rpm Band with large injectors .

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I agree, in fact many things are like that, people don't know how to use them and then blame the product. I don't pretend to know how to tune ecu's properly.
    I have done plenty of carbs on bikes however and the principles are similar.
    My mate was having trouble with low vac pressure (off idle) from ITB's and using the tps for wider throttle and vac for gentle throttle seems to be working well. In fact he has doubled his economy and picked up 4rwkw.
    He was able to get someone from wolf to tune the computer for him, and this no doubt helped enourmously.