Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Diff upgrade / (which option and how to?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad Email Address

Default New Diff upgrade / (which option and how to?)

Hey guys, my t18 sheared its crown wheel teeth for the 2cnd time now, the diff was just welded to a locker. Im not sure what i should do to make it bulletproof the car makes 240hp atm and looking to increase to 250hp soon, im thinking of going with a 2way diff but still leaves me with the t18 crown wheel and pinion.

What would be the best option go with the 2way and get new crown wheel and pinion? Get a 4wd diff and lock it? . Get a 2way and aftermarket crown wheel and pinion or shotpeen the wheel and pinion if possible?

Any help would be great guys the diff is kouki model if that helps but yea any info would be great ta keegan

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

So you are saying you broke a few T series crown wheels, and now you need to go bigger. OK.

Bad Email Address

well do i thats the question or will a 2way suffice or is there aftermarket wheel and pinions available wich are stronger? if no to the above then yes i do

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

All this talk of a "2-way" makes no different. You broke the crown wheel. As far as I know the only thing to do is put another crownwheel in (same stength), or go to a bigger setup.

Bad Email Address

2way for more pedictable handling and less stress on the axles providing an %80 lock up rather than %100 adding some give to the inner wheel etc, but doesnt phase me much when your right im gonna have to go bigger, would there be aftermarket crown wheels available if not what 4wd diffs could i use to setup tarago hilux etc?

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I don't know of any aftermarket crownwheels and pinions, because it would be very difficult to make it better than the factory item (and expensive).

The HiLux setup is tried and tested. As in the DriftBattle magazine also. I think it is HiLux 4WD diff centre, old HiLux RN40 housing, custom mounts, custom 1 piece tailshaft.

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

buy a bigger diff.

you can get aftermarket crownwheels and pinions for a t-series made by Techno PRO Spirit which will cost you about $500-800 landed depending on what ratio you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

The last I heard the Techno Pro Spirit ones were Toyota. They would cost heaps to make.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

250hp at the wheels? is it a 4agte or SR? i think a t series can work with a 4agte at that power level. as long as its maintained and set up correctly. from what i can remember, josh young used the same t series diff/axles/lsd for the whole duration of his turbo 4ag set up (same one from the na set up too)

the torque of a 2L engine though might be too much, especially fi you dont have much mechanical sympathy.

few other things to keep in mind.

dont slide your car till it is warm. not just the engine. make sure you get a good 15min driving in before you slide it. very important, parts are much more brittle when theyre cold. if you need to, jack the car up so the rear wheels are not touching the ground and let the car idle in gear. obviously you need to be a bit careful when doing this.

another recent thought ive had, which i feel there is credence too. make sure your pinion angle (diff carrier to tail shaft) is not more than say 7* misaligned at static. preferably less. im guessing its actually the teeth on your pinion that are breaking. not the ring gear.

all in all, it could be a workable set up.

problem is, any other set up will need a customizing diff housing. not sure if anyone over your side of oz has one yet. youll need to ask around. this will determine whether and E/F/G diff is viable.
    78's

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

TPS are oem toyota. weir performance in the u.s do their own 4.778. trd did 5.11/5.375 but theyre discontinued.

non of these offer any extra strength i wouldnt think. maybe 0klm would help them last a bit longer for a few reasons.
    78's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast