Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AE71 Auto to Manual Conversion

Bad Email Address

Ok so i searched and couldn't find what i was after so...

this is for the people that have done AE71 manual conversions, as i have a few queries.
    I'm almost finished, just need to put the gbox in.

Firstly, is the auto starter the same as the manual starter? i have no idea.

Secondly, do i need a 4AC manual bellhousing, or is the auto one fine and will bolt up fine?

Thirdly, what do i need to wire up so that the car starts, as i heard that coz the auto box only starts in neutral and park, something needs to be looped or some shit.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Brad

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hey mate can't help you on the top 2

but as for the stuff to make it start, i havnet worked specifically on ae71's but its prolly pretty simple

there will be a few wires that go to the gearbox to tell it to only start when its in "park". just a matter of finding these wires, and experimenting with them to see which combination will make your start (shorting 2 of the wires with a spare peice of wire, and testing if its starts), i don't imagine there are that many wires going to the gearbox.

ive done this method on 2 s13's, worked well.

once you find out which 2 wires need to be closed to make it start, you can put a switch for it somewhere in your cabin and use it as a kill switch.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

you will definetly need the manual bellhousing. i don't think the auto one has a hole for the clutch fork to go through

i would also suggest a manual starter..

you can get both of these from AJPS if you need em, ive seen em both sitting on the shelf down there.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slide86 @ Apr 8 2008, 10:55 PM) </div>Yeah mate we got both the starter and bellhousing in stock, give us a buzz, the number is in the AJPS section
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Banned

Far out, get ya shit together lol. Already been out to AJPS once this week to get you a tail shaft!

And why do you need a manual bell housing? You have one already

Bad Email Address

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherlock @ Apr 9 2008, 01:01 AM) </div>my bad, turns out i do have a manual bellhousing, also, the manual starter seems exactly the same, why would i need a new one? any difference at all?

and cheers KE70Dave, but what do i loop the wires to, because i know hat there are 4 wires that went to the auto box, so i chopped them, and not sure what to connect whichever one, to. :verymad:

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hey man just loop them around to each other

there will be 2 wires you need to loop around. just joint them to each other. same way the switch inside the gearbox would have been doing.

i assume if there is 4 wires, the other wires might be the reverse light? or maybe just some other solenoid thing that the auto gearbox requires??

just start shorting them together, see if you can get some life out of it.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Bad Email Address

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Apr 9 2008, 09:06 AM) </div>ahk, i get what your talking, ill do it tonight, hopefully wille be finished tonight and head out for a late night slide.

Name
    Jarrod
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yeah get a manual starter, i did the same conversion and when i put my auto starter in, it went through n cracked the bellhousing lol

Bad Email Address

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jarrod @ Apr 9 2008, 08:00 PM) </div>fark are u serious?

Looks like i will be putting a manual one in then. More delays :angry:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast