Thread: University = fail

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey guys,

I'm procrastinating at uni, and thought I'd make a topic about it. Okay, hopefully it's not that shallow, but yeah, I just wanted to see how many others from the AE86DC community hate the freaking place. Further more, maybe the freaks who like it could show their face, lol. Let me put forward my case.

I'm a current student of Griffith University, Logan campus. Started mid-way through 2004 doing it full time, but after a year I'd had enough so took 6 months off. After that, work said "o hai, if you do it part time, and work full time for us, instead of the other way around, we'll pay your uni fees and give you time to go to uni". Obviously a good opportunity, so I took it, wanting to reduce the debt I'm in post-grad. So, I'd been doing it part time for 2 years, then GU (Griffith) decided, "o hai dude, we wanna get more people through and make monies more, so we're going to fuck you around". I'm doing Business, and because we're the smallest faculty on the smallest campus, we're the gineau pig for a new "trimester" system. Instead on nice chunky 13 week semesters, with a week off after that for study, and 2 weeks for exams, then another 2 weeks for holidays, it's now all compacted into 10 week trimesters, with 1 week off for study and 1 week of exams. Oh yeah, only 1 week break too.

The problem lies within that I work full time. Yeah, full time work was already making part time uni hard, but then they decide to make it even harder by compacting the shit out of everything. DAMMIT. One example is that I'm sitting here late Saturday arvo doing an assignment. It's for market research, we had to do a shitload of real surveys, get the data in, wait for the lecturer to clean it up, then analyse it, throw it into a presentation and a 3000 word report, and present it to the board of Westfield Garden City. Okay, if that was all well timed out and everything it'd be good, but we only got the clean data on Tuesday, and it's to be presented this coming Tuesday. One week to analyse 500+ pages of data, formulate a report, and make a presentation to a major multinational company. Whilst juggling full time work. YEAH WOOO.

Further more, it's the one weekend this year that the/SD is in town. No watchies the drifties for me. Sad panda here.

I hate people sometimes.
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

riojin

life suck bro. it sucks big time.

don't let it get you down, youre a man after all. do what you have to do, work your your schedule to fit everything in and when its all over enjoy yourself. make sure you leave atleast 1hr a day to do something you enjoy even if it means less sleep/work not done as throughly.

i have always been in situations like you and the stress ends up runing my life. remember to be nice to everyone regardless of your own problems.

if things get too hard try to remember the goals you have set and how much better life will be after you achieve them.
    "if youre going through hell, keep going."

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah... I keep telling myself that in a couple of years, I'll have the money because of all the crap I've had to put up with.

With money comes power. With power comes cars. With cars, you get the womens.

Or so I hope.
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

riojin

or you can just jump straight from moneys to womens. hookers ftw.......

itll be alright mate. just hang in there

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey dude

I know the feeling

I started uni straight out of high school, doing a double degree of Maths and Information Technology. After one semester (and 2 failed maths units) I decided to go back to just IT. That was giong great guns full time, I was having a ball, doing well, and working casual in a computer store as a technician/salesman. After another year of this, I was offered a full time position where I was working, and I went back to part time uni.

Well, the fun of university died away, I failed one subject, but still enjoyed my job. And now, after nearly 2 years of doing that, I don't always go, I do a lot of procrastination (although I have always been like that), and at times really hate the fact that I have another 2 and a half years of this to go through...

The only reason that I am going through this, is that I know with a good qualification I can go anywhere with it. Another job in IT, anywhere in the world, and hopefully start earning an average IT wage (min $60k per year). For the moment, IT sales, technician duties and basic professional services will keep me going.

Moral of my story, is that a lot of people are doing what you are doing, or have done it already. Keep your goals in sight at all times, make sure that you know the reward is not far away, considering you have your whole life in front of you.

Oh - and enjoy every moment you can, no matter how bad it seems. It sounds so cliche, but it is true, try and keep a smile on your face and all will be good
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

Name
    Russ
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

just think, when you are done and qualified, what kind of job and income you can land

Name
    Owen
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I'm in the same boat. Juggling work and uni sucks. So I stopped working. But now I'm running out of money...so it's back to work in a few weeks.

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I dislike uni ALOT. I go to Griffith too but the South Bank campus (Queensland College of Art).

They fuck us around a bit too. Everyone in my course enrolled into a 5-6pm 20th Century Design History tutorial session but it turned out that tut session never existed...

We were never told about it being cancelled or moved or whatever so now there are people who are stranded and have no tutorial sessions to go to. Furthermore, the admin staff for this particular area of study are pretty care-free and don't give 2 hoots about whether you have a class to go to or if you pass or not.

This care-free nature of admins plus the healthy work load and tight deadlines make me hate the joint even more.

I could go on about this topic but I won't bore you anymore. You're not alone in hating uni man.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

its good that you don't have to pay for your course! When I was at uni I racked up a pretty big HECS debt and I had to work throughout uni in crappy jobs. So I was in the reverse situatuion, studying full time and working half the time (like many uni guys I guess).... Just think about when you graduate, hopefully you'll be able to get a better job or more money or something... Like riojin said, always keep your goals in the front of your mind.

Name
    Louis
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Stoked I'm not at uni!! sounds like a bitch.....i just finished school, got a sweet job with a communications company and now they are puttin me through a buisness management course! sorry to rub it in......haha how good is retirement gonna be!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast