Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JDM AE86 owners, tell me your stories

Name
    Rudi
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    AUSTRALIA

OK, thinking of buying a JDM AE86 and have been in contact with a few importers but I really want to hear from owners of JDM versions and tell me about yours.

I am not new to AE86s as I owned a Aussie sprinter with a 20 valve conversion a few years ago and have been kicking myself for selling it ever since, I loved it to bits but I think a JDM one with all the goodies (LSD, brakes etc) will be more enjoyable.

Basically it will be a second car registered for street use which I plan on doing some track days in and maybe some drift sessions too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

Banned
    Name
    Vivas
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

buy a JDM that is already here
    its hard to get one over the pits cos they are never standard
    and there's too many hidden costs
    put it this way my AE86 notch was a grade 4.5
    and it had chassis damage
    missing interior parts
    and my 4a blew a month into driving it
    keep checking the for sale section and carsales and the trading post a good one will come up soon
    don't trust importers
    people who will tell you that theres came through perfect were just lucky

Name
    Tree
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

if your really into auctions

use

code: s68683 (preview code)
    or

the first one is their largest auction in japan.

contact an importer, one that specifically imports ae86's... don't go to prestigemotorsport or the other mob... they only know about turbo's and stuff...they don't know key problems with the ae's. They are good if you want a nissan though.
    theres a few importers for ae86's... try pro_k on this site for 1 he has a massive record and he imported mine. or just look around.
    most ae86's will be in average condition. Probably more viable to get a kouki as they are more readily available, also parts for it are more common.

Most of the time they are previously tracked or raced. Because obviously these cars are classic racers but you might be able to find clean ones lying around still... rare but they will go real quick... i got offered one and 2 days later it was gone.... due to me thinking too much. If you see what you like go for it... your bound to have a few snags with the car but if you like what you see... then its more enjoyable and pleasant.

Be prepared to wait a few months if you don't see anything you like... and be prepared to have deep pockets. 13k minimum.

parrot

Buy one here, most of the ones in Japan are rust problems. If it is here you can view it first.

Name
    Lindsay
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

getting one from overseas is pretty risky.
    if you want to import one make sure you know all costs, shipping, compliance etc and keep in mind some poor buggers get a car that doesn't meet their expectations.

but in saying that i imported one and got lucky its made me very happy. remember that their is a good chance you would have to do a bit of maintenance to it i had to replace bushes, panhard rod, radiator and hoses. it runs sweet now tho.

all i can say is just do it....have adm 16v and jdm 16v and if i had known the differences wen i was looking i would have gone straight for jdm...its jus all the small things that make them so much better....more or less a more "complete" car compared to adm...and your likely to pick up some decent parts as well...ADM are not exempt from rust nor being thrashed so spend a bit extra up front and get a cleaner one..

Name
    Rudi
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    AUSTRALIA

Thanks guys, heaps of good advice!!
    What are the main differences other that the 4A between JDM and Aussie??

Do they all have rear disc brakes?

Prob will just buy one allready here in Aus, the ones I have looked at seem to have all the mods done and at the same price as a imported one.

Banned
    Name
    Vivas
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

the GT APEX has disc brakes, usually LSD, better standard suspension, better lights, bumpers, interior well everything

Name
    Damian
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

id honestly get a jdm, people say you have to be lucky its true, my car had a few faults but no major problems no chassis defects or engine etc.
    id say jdm, stick out of the crowd

Name
    Roland
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shinobi @ Apr 18 2008, 01:42 AM) </div>
    GTV's have rear disc's as well. better steering arms, better interior, sunroof options etc, I don't think i would go ADM again. I got x2 JDM and the GTV is much better. even after doing a full conversion on a adm to be like jdm, they just don't drive the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast