Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: lexus v8 in ae86...

cue

Jamie
    go for it!! sounds like you have much more driving and mechanical experience than most, I think its a great idea. Ive also been looking into this mod for a while, i have got myself an 86, and am looking at a v6 conversion, but the only one i can see coming close (it MUST be Aluminium!) is the 3.4 out of the prado. . . . .the biggest drama here is this engine is out of a FWD so automatically it will cost more, so i keep coming back to the 1uz.
    my daily driver is a 1970 capri with a rb30et in it so know whats involved in a conversion.

if anyone else can think of a v6 that might work here please let me know.

mr2drift
    fantastic that youve done this convesion! i am making note of your engine placement do you have a thread somewhere about the build? Anything else you would have done different?
    do you know the weight diference between the 1uz and the 4ac?

cheers
    cue

apparently the weight difference between 1uz and 4age is 4kg ? i am not aware if this is true but thats what i remember seeing somewhere in the past

cue

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w84me @ Apr 27 2008, 12:10 AM) </div>
    yeah thats what ive been told aswell, makes me think is it worth all the trouble to move it back? errrrrr . . . . . but then again when i get my capri sideways at 100kph plus my hole life flashes before my eyes lol, so maybe i should just shut up and get the grinder out lol

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I seriously doubt that seeing that a 4age 20V bare weighs 88kg, and thats no bullshit figures I weighed that myself.

The guy down here who installed his without doing the chopping also upgraded the diff to one out of a crown and also made an adapter for a W box, his total weight ended up being 1200kg
    30kw club

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

lol 4kg, maybe 40 on top of it being further forward and using a heavier box.

sprinterTRD did do it first, and without cutting, but its a road car and doesnt really have a good enough balance for track duties.

really if you guys want to do some research on things like engine weights and which box to use and other general conversion questions ect you need to head over to toymods, theyre wankers almost completely but there are some people there who do have a clue, and do alot more involved conversions than here.

as far as the conversion, well youve already got heaps of good input from josh, but really engine conversions arent complicated, its not magic.. its placing a given object in a given space, the bigger the object and more differently shaped from the orginal, the harder it gets.

it is just a balance of sump/x member/bonnet/tunnel/firewall clearance, whilst leaving room for ancillary systems.

spacing the ex member is bad as it affects the roll centre and (frontal) CG in a negative way. a small amount is ok, but you wanna stay under 15mm i think.

firewall mods, are not such a big deal.. people treat the firewall as some holly grail, but its not that much of a big deal. a few love tops (or alot) is prefered over cutting, alot easier to make less noticeable and quite legal in mist cases.

basically the bigger you go, the more things need to be moved to make way, usually their are solutions, but they eat time, and if you can't do it yourself, ridiculous amounts of money.

clearly even normal size 2L engines are a little difficult to fit in ae86s. basically all SR conversions have some small firewall mods or have the X member spaced down, or both. a 4L v8 is certainly going to need this no matter what (as josh has mentioned). should be noted here the sr is quite a tall motor, and the nissan box has quite a shallow taper, which doesnt help, the later is one reason why most 3s's fit a little easier.

anyway good luck with it. i think though that the 2 engines are really alot different from each other, and so you should give it alot more time before you make a choice, once you hang around a bit longer you might end up with a different choice altogether.

78's

Bad Email Address

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cue @ Apr 27 2008, 01:57 AM) </div>hey mate thanks for your support. i will be doing this conversion. i have sent you a pm mate with my email address and will send you some of the research i have gathered over the time. i am really going to get stuck into this car as soon as i have the motor in a few weeks hopefully. the car is fully stripped now and can be lifted with just 2 people. thankyou EVERYONE for all of your help as i finally have the information i finally needed. thanks josh especially for all the info you have put in... cheers guys and i think i will keep updating this thread as my car comes along. thanks, jamie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jamie @ Apr 21 2008, 07:11 PM) </div>
    LOL my friend, I am also 16 right now I'm probably the only kid mucking around in archerfield, i was drifting a complete stock ae86 with nothing but a shitty 1way lsd, now I'm slowly building it and to my opinion you should definately drift a stocker and build your skills with a 4ac, right now i have fully upgraded the suspension and kept the 4ac, because drifting a engine with 4x less power than a v8 takes more skill and to have that skill means you can jump into a s14 or a r32 and start drifting. you being a childish child you should really listen to others advice especially those who have much much more drifting and driving experience than yourself. my advice to you is get a lsd, chuck it in with your apprentice skills, get out to archerfield with me then have a good think about the ae86 and if you should just buy a commodore instead. you can buy a cheap lsd here (they are selling fast)

Bad Email Address

i don't think you are correct in saying i am a childish child, or i wouldn't even be involved in this scene. thanks for your advice and I'm keen to see how the car goes... I'm keen to come up to archie with you though and give it a go when its done... thanks, jamie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4