Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: lexus v8 in ae86...

Bad Email Address

i have been researching this for a while on and off, and seem to have gathered some serious information about transplanting the lexus v8 into a hachi. obvious modifications will include...

1. modifying trans tunnel
    2. cutting into firewall and re-cessing furthur back
    3. removal of masters and booster in order for it to sit back on the firewall. as in mine i am using a fixed mount pedalbox system...
    4. gear linkages modified
    5. engine and gb mounts
    6. all loom etc and the normal stuff

i went to hyperzone today and had a good look at josh young's car and was wondering about the cost of this conversion. can anyone shed anymore light on the situation? i have got some good research at home, but thought this dc would be a great place to ask also... thanks guys and girls, jamie

Name
    Seth
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i'll try and help, your after costs right?

front sump 1uz - $500 to $900 (depends on how lucky you are)
    josh youngs bellhousing flywheel and clutch set him back around $1800
    w58 - $400 (or a w57 out of a ra60 will be ok - $300)
    tailshaft - $300
    mounts - $400?

thats the basic's, it can really snowball in price depending on what you want to do.

Name
    Thurston
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Youve pretty much covered everything there. If you can't do the work yourself its going to cost a lot (HEAPS). The conversion can fit into the standard engine bay and trans tunnel without cutting although a bit front heavy. Depends what you want to use the car for.

Bad Email Address

the car will be built for drift. i am going to be doing an sr20det conversion, but am just getting some added information before i make my final decision... thanks for the prices, i take it i could use a gearbox from a 1jz? thanks guys, jamie

Name
    alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

pretty sure somewhere along the build josh listed the costs at about 8 grand in and riunning

but that included the fixed pedal box and the throttlekit.

if you can't fab, the cost will be massive

also the or one of the most expensive bits he was quoted for befor doing it himself was the exhaust.... like 3grand just for the manifolds....

there is a pretty comprehesive build on toymods and a bit on his members ride here

he is also a kool fella so hit him with any serious questions, sure he will be happy to help out

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Has been done a couple of times before, most recent is Josh Young's (mr2drift) AE86 V8 conversion (which you've seen), which is a great good example of it. I'm sure there's a thread about the buildup (however brief) somewhere around here, else you could PM him or Anthony (from Kaizen Garage) about the work needed.

japlish pretty much covered it all, I think the only other thing that was needed was the transplant of a Celica transmission housing instead of the AE86 one, to make sure the engine and bellhousing fit. This might change, depending on how you do the conversion.

Good setup for drift, especially power drift, which is what Aussie drifting at the top level has turned into...
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

Name
    Ryan
    State
    qld
    Country
    Aust.

so according to your profile, your 16, and you want to...

cut up and recess the firewall, mount a 4litre v8, use a 1JZ gearbox (their called r154 btw, and their to chunky, your best with a w5x) , relocate all the pedals braking lines and accelerator pedals, move the handbrake back, organise a custom tailshaft (and i hope its not for your s-series) sort out some level of exhaust, change your cooling etc etc...

I'm by no means an engine conversion expert, but general logic would imply, that if you don't have serious hookups etc, or arnt a very much competitive driver (both of which josh has/is), then your best doing something tried, tested and simple.

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Roy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Agreed with above post.

Get your car running with a 4a first, get used to the power and how the car reacts. One of the most vital modifications to an ae86 is the suspension, not engine. Yeah sure you might not be bagging 4th with a 4a, but take it for a run at a track day *cough* hills *cough* and a well set-up and tested suspension combination will give you more than enough to be moving quite quickly through turns.

Have a look at some of the guys out at archy in their ke's. They're doing it with 4a's and going hard out. QR is more of a turbo track.

Believe me dude, I had serious dreams like yours when I was a bit younger, untill I actually got my hachi with bigport 4a. I still love it and I've owned it for about 2 years now.

Summary: Work on suspension and actually being able to drive the car well before you go jumping into engine conversion.

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

also agreed, learning to slide with no power only makes u better in the end

Name
    Seth
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

$3000 for extractors??!!!! <_<

when all said and done if you really want a 1uz then get a bigger car to start with :2thumbs:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast