Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: do rotors really do it better?

riojin

so my ae86 should be sold pretty soon and i can't decide on what kind of car to buy next. realisticly I'm thinking of a r32 gtr but ive always wanted a rotary. ive been looking at some series 4 and 5 rx7's and have always liked the shape.

my question is are they worth the hassel? most rotaries need a rebuild every 100km or less if you thrash them. i will be thrashing it.

I'm just wondering if i should bother with an fc especially considering i could get a fd for approx the same amount that wouldn't need a rebuild.

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>Mate, why would anybody own a rotary if they needed rebuilding every 100km! Do you mean 100,000km? If so, I wouldn't be disappointed at all with 100,000km out of a motor I thrash.

Revs kill engines, keep the revs down, and it will last alot longer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>FD's are so cheap as well, because as the motors are getting older, they will need a rebuild, don't think for a second that you can import an FD and it wont need a rebuild soon, because you'll be taking a gamble.

There all old cars your talking about, things are going to wrong, and need replacing.

Bad Email Address

I thrash my FC and i havent had any problems with the engine so far, just associated parts and drivetrain.

Name
    Iain
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

It depends on what your future holds for you and what you want from the car.
    What kind of job do you have/will have?

Both will require alot of money for mods and maintenance. Ultimately the GTR will win with cheaper bolt ons providing a high level of performance over the same money spent on the FC. But cross a certain threshold and you will spend big dollars on the gtr.

This car made me fall in love with gtrs all over again.

When I finish uni the second car will either be a 32 gtr or an FD, RE-Amemiya style.
    And what did you mean about rotaries needing 100km rebuilds, did you mean 100,000km rebuilds?

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

better off with a sil if you want a lil bigger, fair bit faster rwd drift car.

fcs are sic, but parts (like suspension links and kits) are harder/more expensive.

motors, to my understanding, are good from the factory, but once they need a rebuild, theyre junk, they really arent many people who know how to do it right (tolerances ect).

you could get lucky, but.. really, you need to be dedicated, they are a world onto their own.

thats thinking semi logically, modified japanese cars, are not logical though. so if you want one, buy, and see how it goes.

gtrs are for old c**ts.
    78's

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

why not buy an FC/D thrash it then do an engin conversion?

its a win win and far better than anything a GTR will throw at you
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Name
    Jarrod
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

my mate has a 99 series 8 fd and loves it
    hes getting a 20b built at the moment with a nice power figure for it

r32's are so common now that parts are quite cheap for em where as fd's yeh $$$
    1984 ae71 Panelvan - Sold
    2000 Lexus IS200 - Cruiser

riojin

i meant 100,000km for rebuilds.

i don't want a silvia all my mates have them. i don't want a newer drifter, i want a newer racer. i only ever half drift if necessary anyway. drifitng isnt usually the fastest way unless its a downhill.

reasons for wanting more power is even with a gze my uphills are quite slow. the only competitive mountain passes around here are hill climbs, no one gives a shit about the downhill runs.

i have seen a sr20 fd which was pretty awesome but i want something not as custom as that.

the next car i buy is definately a daily seeing my cars ever since i got my p's have been off the road more than on for one reason or another. its been 5 years since then and i probably have only had 6 months of decent driving. what i want from my next thrasher is just a fun weekend car that i can take to the local monthly hill climb. i don't want to be like every other wanker there and just drive a wrx

Name
    Damian
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i think he ment 100,000km but i dunno.
    I had a series 3 and it shit itself in 4 days with my driving.
    When driven hard they can't cope.

Banned
    Name
    Ted
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If there is only 1 thing you need to remember with a rotary, that would be to let the thing warm up before you drive and or drive it hard. Even if its for a few minutes; Cold Rotor's don't last too long haha.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast