Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Converting a 3sge to RWD

Name
    Kevin
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

ah sweet i will look at doing the same and removing the baffel. have u done ur itb manifold yet?
    Last edited by AE71briskev; 1st July 2009 at 09:38 PM.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

had a look at it the other day, will shape something up soonish, depending on what biggo can get his hands on, plenty of stuff on yahoo henry pointed out ot me
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

orly?

Ive got Pulgers making me an intake mani flange and quad flanges. Going steel tho, i dont like alloy. Give me a week end or 2 and ill have something sorted. Might need to pay you a visit tho beal, theres some trickery to be done.
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

yeah biggo.... glen ra45 has cast alloy mounting plates for blacktops. Has 3 left i believe but wont be doing any more.

With the beams they are a split manifold mount, so wouldnt be too hard to make something nice if your handy. Otherwise on the older stuff it should be relatively easy im guessing.

The only problem he mentioned to me was the black top throttles are meant for the 4age spacing, which is right, except between the banks of cylinders. He said i would have to have a new throttle cable mount and pulley system, but it seems to fit fine with a bit of fiddling... or i might be missing something important The throttle rod is on a light angle, not straight up and down like on the 4a.and it sits right in line with the old fuel reg. But the rail seems to be the same as the return rails, just with plugs, so i have moved the plugs and running the rail as a traditional in and out setup, not the returnless system.
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Have you got a pic? Im trying to visualise it but thoughts of boobs keep popping up
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Clearly, this guy doesnt know what he's on about....

The Gen 1 & 2 motors like being stood up alot more than the Gen 3. Ask anyone who has actually spent a fair amount of time on the RWD 3s conversions. The Gen 3 needs an external oil drain from the head to return to sump, my Gen 2 has never had oil sitting in the head, never even caught any in the catch can!

Name
    Justin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Oh really so please explain why i went through 3 motors, everytime the bearing would run and my catch can would fill up, pull out dip stick wow no oil there, take off tappet covers wow's there a swimming pool around my cams :O

The once I applied an external drain form the head the issue went away

The again the motors i was using were nice $300 long blocks purchased from the wreckers not being rebuilt jsut installed and thrashed, I suppose if you went to the effort to rebuild and made sure all the oil drains and gallery were clean before start the issue might not occur, but I wasn't willing to spend $$$$$ on building a tough motor when 3sgte's are dime a dozen at the wreckers, this is in New Zealand not over here where parts are stupid prices you guys get the pole big time with your lack of imports.

Fraser cars in Auckland also advised me to run an external oil drian as they have being using gen 2 motor in there clubmans for years

But again I suppsoe seeing I have done it I know nothing

Again I am jsut letting people know my personal expernce with 3sgte and rwd

If i was to do again, I would go with the latest model motor i could get my hands on, for value for money single cam n/a beams from a MR2 or Caldina would be the go at around $400 dollars from a NZ wreckers and would run low boost

But I'll leave this post to you as you know so much more than me, I am sorry for ever commenting or sharing my personal expernces
    Last edited by Justin Holden; 7th July 2009 at 12:59 PM.

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

May I suggest, that perhaps it was more than an issue of the engine being stood up that lead to your oil blockage? It would seem to me that if the lack of drainage was such an issue as to fill a catch can and the head and have it sitting in there after the motor had stopped running (oil pump no longer pumping, allowing oil to drain back to sump) then you had some far more serious issues going on, not possibly all caused by simply standing the motor up. As I said, I myself have never even caught any blow-by in the catch can, never had any oil build up in the head, and others using the same generation 3sgte's are the same, its those who go to the gen 3's that need the external drain.

I too have done it, and in the process of spoke to many many people who have also done it, and I wouldnt be posting if I didnt know what I was talking about. Im just saying that its the gen 3 that doesnt like being stood up as much as the previous models, and that your issues would have to have been caused by a little more than a lack of oil draining back to sump from the head.

This thread is for discussion, your personal experiences are worth more than rumours people may have heard.... I was just saying that I think u need to look further than just blaming the standing of the motor up....

Name
    Justin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I would say the state of the motors I was using would have been the major cause of the problems, but the 4th motor which was the final one I used before selling the car had an external drain added at the back of the head and also had my final version sump which was enlarged majorly and also had wing's and baffeling, this motor ran fine and I never experinced any issues with it, hence the reason I advise fitting of an extra drain from the head, I also strongly recommend to any doing the conversion please don't use a 2s sump, please desgin up a custom sump with proper baffeling and trap doors to make sure oil is kept near the pick up, the 2s sump was never desgined with motorsport in mind.

Picture of my sump and oil drain:

Water Piping

I do like the fact that like myself you speak from experince of actually doing it not from what you have read or have been told

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

nice idea using a thermostat cover as the new housing. as compact as it gets!

I think the drainage is simlar between the motors (gen 2 and gen 3 3sgte) just that the gen 3 head gasket restricts oil flow to the cams, I believe toyota found they needed nowhere near as much oil up there as they were sending. This isn turn lets the oil drain away effectively.

It's true the bulk of the drainage is on one side of the motor, but it is on a 4age as well.

In any case, it's worth noting that the first 3sge that toyota "stood up" scored an extra oil drain from the rear exh corner of the head.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast