Thread: Rotary into T-18?

Oldschool Member

So, rotary into T18. We've covered the AE86 rotor swap, and I guess a lot would be similar, but I'm wondering about a few aspects of what would be necessary.

Hypothetically, lets say 13B or 12A naturally aspirated.
    Will the steering box and linkages provide more or less of a clearance challenge than the rack?
    What gearbox to use to get the shifter close to stock position, corona W-box or something?
    What front housing etc would you use?

Thoughts?

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

sounds like a cool idea. suits the old school vibe of the car and will be heaps of power.

all the rest of the q's youll have to ask someone who knows rotors.

i think a rack might be a better idea though, more clearence for the ex, its on the drivers side on a rotor remember.

i would say a toyota g'box will be better, than the rx7 boxes ive seen (which are all gen 4 on) as those things need a huge tunnel (like an s2000 box)

you might need to get the bell and then measure, once the engine position is determined... the select whicever w box has the right extension housing.. but usually, its the furtherest back (not including the NA jza80 one) that works the nicest as with a toyota bellhousing on, its about the same length from engine mounting face to shifter as a corolla type t50.

78's

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Early RX7s run steering boxes. I have a series 2 RX7, standard 12a with extractors, let me know if you want specific engine bay pics. Rotary engines output is (obviously?) smack bang in the middle of the "block", whereas conventional engine crankshafts are at the bottom of the engine, so their mounts are quite different. I reckon easiest rotary swap would be early series RX7 engine and gearbox.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

You should be able to find a belhousing fairly easily because the W50 "Celica 5-speed" was used on everything back in the 80's from Toranas to RX3s. I have seen the Corona W40 in a RX3 also.

Personaly, I would like to see a 3T with a big cam and sidedrafts, or quad throttle injection. Or a 2T-GE.

A 1990cc 3T would fit in your engine bay quite well.