Thread: t series diffs

Name
    jed
    State
    n.s.w
    Country
    australia

Default t series diffs

hay guys im about 50/50 on buying a t series with a 2 way in it. was just wondering what you guys recon about them, just to get some second opinions maybe if you guys know of some other options. what would be the cheapest but most reliable. just a bit unsure if i wanna spend $1500 on some thing that im unsure on.

cheers guys jed

Scammer, DO NOT BUY FROM ME!

what car are you going to be running it in?

what engine? power figures etc.

i run an s series behind a 20v and it holds up just fine, a t series should never beak behind a stock 4a, anything more than that and you MAY have problems with axles but really it all depends on your driving style

id probably save myself some $$ and just get a t series for around $400 and just weld it (personal preference) and keep it mind a welded diff is illegal on the street
    HAHAH I LOVE BOOST LOOSING!!
    [QUOTE]iv done my research and welding the suspension solid seems the be the way to go for sliding purposes[/QUOTE]

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

all depends on what you wanna get out of the car mate.

if your looking at getting into drift just lock what you have, and i guarantee you will never get anywhere near 1500 bucks worth of broken parts ascociated with runnin a locked diff.

if you own an ae71 like your name suggests, dont even bother? lol. unless your definitely just gonna part it out when you want to move it on

Name
    jed
    State
    n.s.w
    Country
    australia

yer i only have a 4age in it . my cars only got a borgie and ive already f@#ked 3 of those and im sic of spending money on them, when i thought that a t series would be a bit stronger, i want to one day do some drifting, on a track that is. it just gets slid around wet streets at the moment because im two scared im gonna stuff another diff buy welding it. buying a t series and welding that sounds like a good idea, you seem to think i wont snap stuff very often either .

hay whats wrong with ae71s man hahaha

Name
    Ryan
    State
    qld
    Country
    Aust.

lol... t-series.. yes, they can take an LSD, but apart from that they are useless.

the diffs are becoming harder and harder to find (excluding the obvious ra40 etc types) and they are getting more and more expensive... as are their associated tailshafts to go with them.

to get a cw+p gearset with a decent ratio is expensive as shit. axles are pretty much the same size as your current diff... meh, its alot, alot of money, honestly i think its poor logic to go down that route, and i would ONLY do so if your needs are for a 2way. nothing more.

consider an E-series diff, they are slightly heavier, and their axles are pretty much the same too, but they have a much larger cw+p gearset (7.1" if i remember correctly) as well with an abundant amount of chooseable ratios (4.7 and 4.5 ratios cost peanuts at wreckers and are easily found) tailshaft will have to be modified, but its likely to cost the same as a t-series tailshaft anyways.. Mounts do NOT line up, but various sponsors on this website (kaizen garage, possibly others) plus other people that get around who are also able to convert it... there are no lsd's for this type of diff, you will have to weld it.

Sam holz puts 150rwkw through one, and i dare say he rapes it. You will never break one with a 4age.

t-series (jdm or t18: $300) + tailshaft ($200) + 4.77 gearset ($300?) + locker = 800ish
    tarago diff ($150 including 4.77 gearset, from wrecker) + tailshaft mod ($200) + mounts $depends + locker = $350 + whoever you can convince to sort out the brackets

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

If you run any sort of locked diff. The axles will almost certainly snap, if something else doesn't let go before hand. Its largely just a matter of how long it takes, may take years, may take weeks. If the diff has had a hard life beforehand then it'll probably fail sooner.

The other thing to factor in here. Ok sure, T-series axles aren't exactly expensive, but think about the expense if your diff dies whilst you're way out somewhere and your only option is towing.

My philosophy is to always do it the right way, so a 2 way is most definitely the only thing I'd run in any car I have to rely upon. If its solely a track car though, who cares.

Name
    jed
    State
    n.s.w
    Country
    australia

yer im kind of in the same boat as goldbergs do it wright the first time, rather than weld it and run the risk of breaking. i mean you probably can still snap axels plus every thing else with a 2 way. its just not as likley for me to as i only got a 4age plus im not thrashing it every day either. all good info to thanks guys keep them coming

jed