Thread: ae71 smallport conversion questions

Oldschool Member

Hey all.

I've been researching the small port 16V into an ae71 conversion for a while now and there is a few things that are confusing me.

Basically i've read you can't use a a fwd water pump because the bearings can't support a fan. Then you can't use the fwd alternator setup because it clashes with the rwd water pump.

I am planning on running thermo fans. Does this mean that i can continue running the fwd water pump and because of this i can run the fwd alternator? If no can i use the back half of a rwd 4ac pump with the front half of the fwd pump?

i understand that i need the change the outlet with the two sensors on the back of the block to the one used on the back of a ?ae82 twinky 4age? cos it is too long.

The next question is why exactly do i need to use the remote thermostat from the ae82? is it only because it has spots to tap in a temp sensor for the thermo fans?

The final thing i don't understand is the solid pipe i have seen that apparently has something to do with cold start. How does the rwd type differ from front wheel drive? and why can't you just keep the fwd type? ( i realise this is probably a really dumb question but please be gentle )

If any one can point me to a complete how to guide then i would muchly appreciate it

Cheers
    Cerby

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Well luckily for you, I've just done the same conversion.

If you just stick with everything FWD by way of water system and alternator you'll be fine. You'll just need to mount the remote thermostat somewhere.

You'll need an AE82 rear outlet because yes the AE92 one sticks out off the head

You need the remote thermostat because you need a thermostat, doesn't have to be the AE82 one the AE92 one will work just fine.

Solid pipe? are you talking about the throttle body water supply? This controls the idle and adjusts it based on the coolant(engine) temp.

EDIT - I should mention I've just put my 4AGE water guide up here and I'll add an updated small port section soon

Oldschool Member

AWESOME!
    That is totally exactly what i wanted to hear!!

can i tap the sensor for the thermo fans into the ae92 thermostat or is there already a sensor i can use in there?

That sounds like the pipe i meant....Do i need it? My ae86 didn't have one which i guess explains why it never had a high idle at start.

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cerby @ Jun 23 2008, 08:34 PM) </div>AE92 one already has it.

And well, you don't "need" the cold start TB water supply. Its a good idea to use it but you can block off the whole lower section of the TB with gasket paper then wind the idle up slightly and it'll be fine. If you want to run power steering or aircon you're likely to need it though.

One other note, the AE82 remote thermostat is a little more compact than the AE92 but it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. You can see a comparison pic in my guide thread.