Thread: Golberg’s 4AGE 16V Cooling Guide

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I've put my guide on a couple of other sites but I'm sure it'll be appreciated here too.

I spent quite some time gathering bit and pieces of 4A-C and 4A-GE cooling systems. I currently have a complete water system(apart from radiator) for an AE71 4A-C, AE93 4A-GE, and a JDM AE86 4A-GE and part of an AE82 4A-GE system.

The aim of this guide is to show the similarities and difference between each of the systems and to give tips about what can be used in different configurations.

Alternator Bracket:
    There are 2 main different types of alternator bracket for the 4A-GE the FWD one bolts on at the bottom of the block and sits the alternator relatively high. And adjuster strap is mounted to the front water outlet from the head. The RWD one on the other hand bolts to the same place but sits the alternator lower and has an adjuster strap mount on itself. It also has one extra bolt, sitting on top of the RWD engine mount. Why does this matter? You cannot run a RWD water pump and rear housing without it, otherwise the inlet will be blocked by the alternator.

Harmonic Balancer:

RWD Harmonic Balancers are different to the FWD AE92 version. The inner part of the pulley has a greater diameter on the RWD version. What this means it that the alternator will more than likely be pulled closer to the block on a RWD engine but I can confirm that the standard AE92 4AGE harmonic balancer works just fine with the RWD alternator bracket and strap.

I have just acquired an AE86 one so I will take some comparison shots when I take my AE92 one off.

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

FAQ

Can you use a RWD 4A-C water pump on a RWD 4AGE? Yes, you just need to file off a little of the timing cover ridge and you must also use a RWD rear pump housing too.

Can the RWD 4A-GE rear water pipes be used on a Small Port 4A-GE (100kw) motor? No, unfortunately they cannot, they interfere with the knock sensor on the block. (Work-around in the next section)

Can the RWD 4A-C rear water pipe be used on a RWD 4A-GE? Yes, it can, but it wont allow you to run the throttle body cooling. Same problem as with the 4A-GE pipes on the Small Port in standard configuration also.

Is there any way to keep the FWD alternator bracket when using a RWD water system? Maybe, but it'll require some modification of either the thermostat input pipe or the bracket itself.

How can I incorporate a temperature sensor (for a thermo fan etc) into my RWD water setup? By using one of the thermostat inlets from the remote thermostats of either the AE82 or AE92 you can use the inlet pipe in place of the regular one which has a temp switch built in.

Can I use a FWD pulley on the RWD water pump? No, if you do the belts will not line up.

Do I need the proper RWD head rear water outlet to run the RWD water system? Yes, unless you do not wish to use the throttle body cooling part.

Can I use the front water outlet pipe on the head of a RWD 4A-C on a RWD 4A-GE instead? No, it will not bolt onto the 4A-GE head.

Can the bypass pipe leading from the front water oulet to the rear pump housing of a RWD 4A-C be used on a RWD 4A-GE setup? No, but it would probably be possible to shortern it to fit.

More to come, just need to think of some more. If anybody has any questions ask in this thread and I'll add the responses here.

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

RWD Water System on a Small Port 4A-GE

updating this first before i put it up

Veteran
    Name
    Stefan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

top job mate just pm nick and get it put onto the faq
    JAPANESE DOMESTIC MARKET AS F*CK!!! hmmm, when you prenounce it properly, it sounds gay how bout that.

Name
    Justin
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Just copy it off the rollaclub FAQ..

Why hesitate when you can accelerate???
    Yellow 1984 KE70 Corolla, 1.3L 4K-C, Tighe 104 Cam, Electronic Dizzy, Dellorto DHLA40s,
    4-1 Hurricane Extractors, 2" Exhaust System, 5 Speed, Factory Mags, Towbar, 33 RWKW Last dyno.

Name
    Jordan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

[quote]
    FAQ

Is there any way to keep the FWD alternator bracket when using a RWD water system? Maybe, but it'll require some modification of either the thermostat input pipe or the bracket itself.

Yes but you have to use a fwd remote thermostat housing

Can the bypass pipe leading from the front water oulet to the rear pump housing of a RWD 4A-C be used on a RWD 4A-GE setup? No, but it would probably be possible to shortern it to fit.

You can shorten it to fit that is what I did but you will need to use a silicone sealant instead of the o-ring cause you will cut off the groove for it