Thread: Engineering the turbowahh

Name
    Vince
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Engineering the turbowahh

how hard would it be to get an engineering certificate for a turbo 4age in a ke/ae in NSW??
    has anyone done it legit.. is there a limit to the turbo and engine mods as i could just bolt on a turbo with standard ecu, get the certificate and modify it from there
    this is just for the po po, think they will only ask the paper for the engine conversion and turbo OR would more problems come across
    do you also need to upgrade the brakes, any legal shites to make the car roadworthy?

and another q, if the car already has an engineering certificate for a 4age would that be sufficient for all types of 4age?

any help would be appreciated!

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

At the moment NSW is undergoing a change to the way that they engineer cars. The should be going across to the NCOP. If they do then engineering is pretty easy, I am just waiting for the new scheme to come in and I will be able to engineer cars in NSW as well as the ACT. If you need more info just drop me a PM.

Cheers
    Paul

Name
    Vince
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

sweet as paul where'd you get the source that NSW is changing the rules for getting an engineering certficate?

would you know if a car has already been engineered for a 4age, that you can put another motor say, a ze block n/a head??

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I got the info from Dan Leavy, the head of Technical Standards for the RTA. With regards to previous engineering if you ring tech standards at the RTA and give them a rego number or VIN they should be able to tell you if it has been engineered before. I am not too sure why you would bother putting a N/A head on a ZE block. To be honest unless you are chasing massive power you would be better off with a N/A block as it will be better off boost and still be able to take 14psi with a decent tune and give you around 160rwkw. The main thing that you will have to do with the conversion is make sure that you have the cat convertor, unleaded fuel filler and that the conversion is nice and neat and that you havn't cut up the body to fit the intercooler. The other obvious one would be a brake upgrade, either the PUG/Hilux or the RX-7 one will be heaps. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Cheers
    Paul

P.S. To get engineered properly, depending on modifications, could cost up over $1000. I charge $120/ hr so it soon adds up.

Name
    Vince
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

what i meant was a ze block minus the s/c as im still on mp p's, almost fulls now =)
    so semi-forged internals would be a bonus and the low compression
    are you serz bout those brake upgrade, i dont want something too hettik just legit!
    do you reckon something like jdm front brakes can do it as i plan to just bolt on a t28bb or gt40.. does power to weight come to play if its engineerable?
    cheers mate

Name
    gay
    State
    n1gger land
    Country
    south korea seoul

RE: brakes.... you can never have too big
    lol at white people in japan. just lol.

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

It is not power to weight as such rather engine capacity vs weight. you will be fine with the 1600. The low compression with make it a dog to drive without the supercharger/ turbo. I may be wrong here but unless you are planning on mega power then I would just put a 4AGE in there and when you get off your P's put a turbo on there. Also a GT40 is just silly, even a T28BB is getting on the big side for a 1600. I would stick with a T25G as it has the bigger compressor cover but still has the 0.48 A/R exhaust housing. This will get you on boost nice and quick. Having a NA bottom end will help with this as well. Brakes wise I would sceptical of JDM vented brakes with anymore than around 120rwkw. Best to do it properly now and you can be sure that they will meet any future requirements. Last one make sure that you upgrade your master cylinder when you do the brakes to maintian adequate pedal travel with the larger piston area on the 4 pots.

Regards
    Paul

Name
    Vince
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

thanks for the info!!

would anyone else have any more info on the general stuff to make a car legit when turboin' a ae/ke??
    and if you can swap in between 4Ablocks and still use the same engineering certificate?

Name
    Reeece
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I got engineered couple weeks ago for my turbo conversion.. I run pug/hilux/rona strut coilovers and r31 rear calipers.. Hilux diff and w58 gearbox.. t28 bush bearing turbo with factory ecu + things like oil coolers ,fmic, gauges, detahable steering wheel,3inch zorst,catch cans and bov "which i needed to modify on the day he came".. All up 600$ and hes a rta signatory. Well worth it

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I wish I could do engineering like that in the ACT. Here will have to provide a complete report as well as the check lists and cover sheet. To give you an idea I am engineering something similiar to that for sprinterboy and his reportwill be about 60 pages. They don't write themselves so the costs soon add up. I have heard that NSW will be going across to the NCOP I don't know if that means the extra long reports though.

Cheers
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast