Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AE86 + S14 Crossmember + SR20?

Bad Email Address

Was just about to say that, slot those holes!

Name
    Callum
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

or s13 crossmember bolt up , but im not sure what you would do about the power steering, and also the motor sits a lil further forward than one would like.

Bad Email Address

no way, with S13 crossmember, the motor sits quite low and far back in the engine bay a much better position compared to making mounts to suit the KE/AE chassis.

EDIT: just to clarify i fitted a s14 crossmember to my KE70 today (same as ae86 in terms of crossmember mounting and so forth) in 30 mins after some quick wortk with a die grinder and a tape measure, I now have it sitting square in the engine bar to the mm.

i plan on using the s14 rack as well as i will be running power steer in my daily KE, got an S14 VVT NA motor dirt cheap so why notl

gunbz-r

just curious simon, but are you plannin on using the s14 suspension? are you modding your strut towers to suit, from my measurements, tryin to squeze the struts into the factory 86 position, throws the geometry way out of wack, and will end up in huge camber, though i don't know too much bout suspension, but i have been advised by my suspension bloke to try and mod the towers to suit, measured against an s14 there is just enough room for them to be mounted in the factory s14 position in an 86, but involves a fair wack of work to the strut towers.

Name
    Calvin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Jul 6 2008, 04:36 PM) </div>maybe running s13 suspension with the s14 rack would be a good solution? alot of people use s13 front setup in there hachis/ke's.

prolly does the same thing as the s14 suspension with the geometry its just that no one bothers measuring/calculating before they do it
    T18 in the build

Bad Email Address

I'm not using s14 susp for now, i have just re drilled the LCA bolt holes in the crossmember forther in, which means its not forcing the control arms out as much.

but really... its not a drama, i have no idea why you would need to modify strut towers or the like, but it can all be made to work and work well with some thinking

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

just another thing, if the rack is higher/lower than the ke rack or the lca inner mounts are no in the same position or the rack ends are to far apart u will have all sorts of suspension dramas. it can be fixed but its a whole lot more involved than just dropping the x-member in.

if the rack end are in the wrong spot u will have to shorten/lengthen the tie rods=bumpsteer
    rack to high low=bumpsteer
    lca mounts incorrect=bumpsteer and camber changes

i'd be doing a whole lot of measuring b4 going with this setup.

way easier to modify the ke/ae crossmember and maybe space it down a little. With the ke x-member u can get the sr back to within about 1-2" of the firewall anyway.

Bad Email Address

once again, all that is needed is some quick work with a tape measure and dripp, and you can drill the holes out to suit the KE and eliminate most of the susp changes, the steering rack is lower then the KE one tho which is about the only drama.

I'll take pics tomorrow

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

if the only drama is that the rack is lower then if u can redrill the inner lca mts lower by the same amount as the rack is lower than stock then u should be right

are you going to run full S14/S13 front suspension? like the struts, brakes etc?

Bad Email Address

not in my car currently. its just a daily driver with an NA S14 VVT SR going in it.

another car me and some mates are building has the entire S13 front fitted. So s13 crossmember, struts, brakes, LCA's master cyln, brake booster, SR turbo and box. all fits very easilty really.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast