Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "ONE STOP DIFF SHOP"

Bad Email Address

Hey guys just taking into account some different variences in diffs for the hachi, so mayb we could make something out of this. its not metioned in the Diff section in the tech articles. but it is prolly scattered all ova the forum but lets put it all in a one stop shop

so keeping the weight down in a the hachi for drift purpose is a good thing, but when having big power aswell you gain all that extra weight when upgrading your rear end.
    so having a reliable diff with good track,LSD availibility, good ratios, and less weight as possible is your aim but all have pro's n cons

so pretty much your options are

JDM T 18 - ae86
    E - series - lite ace + tarago
    F - series - Yr22 Tarago
    G - series - Hilux + Tarago

so here are a few of the things we needed to way up before we choose

Track

Weight

PCD

Ratios available

LSD options

i've got an F series + a T Series in tha garage so i'll measuse them up for track.. the track is prolly on this forum somewhere buy y search when u can measure

so Lets fill in the gaps:

T Series

T18 + JDM Ae86

Crown size - 6.7"
    Track - 1410 mm
    Weight - ?
    PCD - 4 x 114.3
    Ratios - 3.7, 3.9, 4.1, 4.3, 4.44, 4.53, 4.6, 4.77, 4.xx 5.1, ect are all toyota parts but its only the first 4 you will ever find in standard cars in australia. 5.375 is a TRD part.
    LSD options - readily available - Direct fitment

E Series

Lite ace + Tarago

Crown size - 7.1"
    Track - ?
    Weight - ?
    PCD - 4 x 114.3
    Ratios - common is 4.3 and 4.77. ratio's interchange between Lite ace and Tarago
    LSD options - none at this stage
    Extra info: AXLES are only very slightly larger than zenki t series, and actually smaller than kouki t series, but are more readily available and much cheaper should you break one.

F Series

Yr22 Tarago EFI model

Crown Size - 7.5"
    Track - 1425mm
    Weight - ?
    PCD - 4 x 114.3
    Ratios - 3.9, 4.1 , 4.3
    LSD Options - Altezza fitment. (ANY jap after market brand) PLUS detroit locker ARB air locker ect (all 4x4 aftermarket types)
    Extra info -

F series also available in

Mx13 Mk2 Corona:

Crown size - 7.5"
    Track - 1410mm same as T series
    Weight -
    PCD - 4 x 114.3
    Ratios -
    LSD Options - same as YR22 above
    Extra info : flanges same as T Series to do the corona st141/rt142 disc upgrade

G Series

Hilux (also tarago with wider track)

Crown Size - 8"
    Track - common one is less then T series @ 1410mm
    Weight - ?
    PCD - 5 x 114.3 ?
    Ratios - 4.5, 4.8, (5.3 mayb)
    LSD options - g series is used in JZA80

so if u can fill in the spots post up and i'll fill them in

everyones choice on diff will be different depending on wheel offset chosen availibility ov the diff itself and .. what they want to use the car for
    post you thoughts and i'll compile them all together and put them all up in the 1st post.

I want this post to be very accurate, down to all know ratios available..so if you have read and have something u want to add put it up and i'll edit it in.

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

theres a list like this or at least a link 2 one on here already, check the FAQ

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ill edit with the info i know of the top of my head

T 18 - ae86

Track - ?
    Weight - ?
    PCD - 4 x 114.3
    Ratios - 3.7, 3.9, 4.1, 4.3, 4.44, 4.53, 4.6, 4.77, 4.xx 5.1, ect are all toyota parts but its only the first 4 you will ever find in standard cars in australia. 5.375 is a TRD part.
    LSD options - readily available - Direct fitment

E Series ( i know nothing about this one) 7.1" r&p

Track - ? lite ace is +15 tarago is +40
    Weight - ? not very much more at all
    PCD - ? 4x114.3
    Ratios - ? heaps, from all sorts of vans, this is the best part about the E series. common is 4.3 and 4.77. but the ratios change from lite ace to tarago and petrol to deisel/auto options
    LSD options - ? none at this stage
    also AXLES are only very slightly larger than zenki t series, and actually smaller than kouki t series, but are more readily available and much cheaper should you break one.

F Series - Yr22 Tarago

Track - ? +40
    Weight - ? more
    PCD - 4 x 114.3
    Ratios - 4.1 , 4.3 and many more, same as hilux from, listed are the common ones, aswell as 3.9
    LSD Options - Altezza fitment. so ANY jap after market brand. PLUS detroit locker ARB air locker ect. all 4x4 aftermarket types.

*also available in mx13 and mx123 or 111 or something crown*

G Series - Hilux also available in tarago (wider)

Track - the common one used is actually slightly less track than stock
    Weight - ? too fucking much
    PCD - 5 x 114.3 ? and 6xXXX
    Ratios - 4.5, 4.8, (5.3 mayb) and all the rest
    LSD options - as above. g series is used in JZA80 (some, some are A series) and alot of other high power turbo toyotas. plus as above, all 4x4 aftermarket options.

you have basically put them in order of complexity/price from lowest to highest.

pretty much T series is really mostly suited to NA, and needs regular maintenance to be reliable. (eg having the lash re set, changing oil) and some smart driving (no skids while the diff oil is still cold, i.e atleast 15 minutes driving)

E series is a good option for a "mostly" track car or for people who have no problem at all with running a locked diff o the street. ratios and axles are easy an cheap, and can be had in only slightly wider than stock width.

F code.. is really all you will ever need in an 86. ever. seems to be quite reliable being thrashed with over 350hp with blatant disregard/0 mechanical sympathy. the width of the YR22 diff is the main problem, not really an option for ke drivers, who struggle to fit 8" wide rims with the common offset these widths rims come in. for 86 its fine, but you will still end up with some ridiculous "effective" offsets using wider rims.

eg. if i were to use my rims (-19) with this diff, I'm looking at a total offest compared to stock, of -39...? you would want to start considering if this is going to have a positive effect on handling/balance. with a large amount of power, the extra stability might be a plus, but its something to think about.
    78's

Bad Email Address

yeah good stuff slydar! F series is the go, but the wider track is its down fall. if u want to run big negative offset rims.
    thats where the G series has its bonus, but then its heavier... but how much really? r we talking 10kg or we talking 20 - 30 kg?

i guess you could always get your F series shortened.

i'll check the FAQ's Sr_rolla see what i can come up with.

Bad Email Address

checked out the FAQ, but it doesnt have the detail that i want to put in this thread, but thanks for the tips sr_rolla! i did get some little details which were handy

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

good thread so glad to help. has the potential to be a truly useful data base.

comparatively, maybe its not that much more than an F, i would GUESS more than 10kg though. but an F is still a lot more than stock. in a live axle car, i think you want to strive to be adding as little un sprung weight to the rear as possible, and seeing as the F will easily handle all the power, the G series doesnt make sense to me. you will also always need to do a PCD conversion.
    78's

Bad Email Address

Thanks Slydar, thats what I'm aiming for, a place where people can look and find everthing they need to conside when doing a difff conversion.

having good offset and having a diff that will handle power is something i need to add up to make my decision

i want some decent dish eg -26 , -32 (rear)
    must fit under stock flares guards
    must have mech LSD available
    a diff that will handle 200 + min KW's
    adding as less weight as possible.

hopefully we can all pool our knowledge together and put together on awsome dif page!

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Look on toymods, there is a massive thread about this.

Bad Email Address

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ Jul 1 2008, 12:36 PM) </div>I'm not a member of tool mods but i did check the thread in our FAQ and it was sourced from toy mods and it doesnt have the information in it that i want this thread to have.. i went through it and took what i found but what i have mentioned is what i want this thread to have.. i think it will be really useful

Name
    Kaan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

F Series also from MX13 MK2 Corona. flanges same as T Series to do the corona st141/rt142 disc upgrade. same track as T & S series diff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast