Thread: sticky clutch

Name
    Carlo
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

hi
    drove my car yesterday.. did a launch in it... and ever since my clutch is real sticky to the point where its pretty much impossible to let out without stalling or spinning.

ive heard that the clutch gets sticky when the master cylinder has shit itself..

anyone else had a sticky clutch? and what was the cause of it if so...

also if it is the master cylinder what does ti take to replace?

thanks...

Oldschool Member

It could also be your slave cyl. Just replace both, together they may be $150.

It's not a hard job. 10mm spanner, 12mm socket (maybe a 14 too), extension bar, ratchet. BAM. get your mate to help you bleed it up and you're set.

Then again judging by the way you achieved said fucked clutch system, it could be something else, let me think it over.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rollabender @ Jul 3 2008, 05:54 PM) </div>BAM!!! knock it up another notch!!!! (new futurma movie rocks!)

yeah get your mate to stick his head under your car, and start pumping that clutch.

if your mate doesn't see the clutch slave moving nice and quick back and forward in sync with your foot, then its time to replace something!

you should also be loosing fluid out of your reservoir if that is the case. ****as sparkle has said in the next post it might not be leaking fluid, id never considered the fact that it could rust inside....

yeah easy to replace with a socket set, just have to bleed it afterwards, can be a lil tricky under the car, but you'll get the hang of it.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Aaron
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

It doesn't have to be leaking to be stuffed. We all know brake fluid is hygroscopic and so when contaminated it can cause both master and slave to corrode and start to stick. It is defiantly a good idea to replace both at the sometime because if one is stuffed the other won't be far behind.

Name
    Carlo
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

hmm ok
    so where do u get these cylinders from?

Name
    Aaron
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Repco, Bursons, Super Cheap......

Bad Email Address

well firstly bleed the system and see if you can get a good feel out of it BEFORE you decide to start spending money here and there. there have been many cars come into my work with sticky or rough feeling clutches, and the answer was simply some fresh fluid. as you will know, the brake fluid used for the clutch seems to become dirty a lot quicker than what is used in your brake reseviour, simply due to the amount of useage. you say that it only started getting sticky not long ago... then personally i would be bleeding and checking the system for loose lines (air leaks etc) before i go spending money.

if that doesnt work watsoever, then the guys above have given you the straight answers.

good luck!

Name
    Carlo
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jamie @ Jul 4 2008, 07:53 AM) </div>yeah tru...
    ill def do that b4 i spend money.. the only thing is though it started happening instanntly after i dumped the clutch, like it didnt get worse annd worse over tie... but neways ill check for leaks and put some new fluid in.

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

You can also get rebuild kits for the master and slave, I only paid $10 for each at repco, bit of a pain replacing the inner seals but its probably worth it if you are still running a 25yo clutch cylinders. After I rebuilt mine and also got a braided clutch line it just made the clutch feel so precise the difference was amazing.

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

did you know clutch's can melt? Ive seen a few in my day.

Altho id doubt it would be your problem, clutch melting = stuck to flywheel
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast