Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: aerated brake fluid reserve?

Name
    Carlo
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

well i had to chance my brakes to some different ones - then back to the originals..
    anyways.. when iit came to bleeding them we blead the brakes but then bloody let the brake fluid reservoir become empty arrr...

neways we bleed all 4 brakes until they stop squirting air.

but the brake pedal doesnt pump up (still pulls the car alrightISH) and the brake oil reservoir - whenever the brake is pumped air bubbles bubble up in it and it eventually becomes all aerated.

what is the next step to do??? and what does it mean when this happens

Veteran
    Name
    Stefan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

re bleed brakes!

make sure u keep topping up the reservoir

don't let it get empty or you will have to re bleed again!

master cylinder could be fucked! may need rebuild!
    JAPANESE DOMESTIC MARKET AS F*CK!!! hmmm, when you prenounce it properly, it sounds gay how bout that.

Name
    Simon
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

how are you bleeding them? make sure you attach a hose off the nipple so that half a second before it get's closed fluid gets sucked back into the system and not air.

take the master cylinder off the car and bench bleed it :2thumbs:.

you probably have air all through the master and because the piston won't travel all the way to the end in the master you won't be able to bleed all the air out

Name
    Aaron
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Make sure you start with the brake furthest away from the master cylinder, left rear, and then make your way to right rear, left front and right front, this will make sure you get all the air out of the system. You must keep the reservoir toped up with brake fluid !

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (#109 @ Jul 7 2008, 06:40 PM) </div>I would suggest take it to a work shop. It is very dangerous to play with brakes when you don't understand what is going on!

if you let the peddle hit the floor and the master cylinder was an old one i would say the master cylinder is now bypassing!
    that means time to get the master cylinder reconditioned or a new one! or you still have air in the system! do one wheel at a time and start with the front two! you should go through a bit of fluid! keep doing it untill the fluid runs clean at each wheel! good luck! :2thumbs:

Name
    Aaron
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

As modern cars have dual circuit brakes it is not important if you start at the front or the rear as you are bleeding two seperate circuits. The order i described is common practice as it can be applied to older cars that have single circuit brakes as well as newer cars. Wether you start at the front or rear it is important to bleed the furthest point of the system first. Remember the fluid in the brake system moves back and forth so bleeding the furthest point first lessens the chance of air being traped in the system.
    Remember working on brakes is dangerous if you don't understand what is going on. If in doubt please go and actually speack to sombody that knows.

even if you do buy a new one i would recommend to bench bleed it first before you put it in. save yourself time and hassle and you ensure you've covered all bases

Ill just shut up then! I'm only an auto electrician anyway the only reason i said to do the front first is beccause if you have absoulutly no peddle at the start i found it easier to gain some sort of peddle after doing the fronts thus making it easier to do the rest!

Name
    Aaron
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

You may have found it easier to get a pedal doing the front first because it is a smaller circuit, and so it will take less time to bleed.

Sorry I wasn't having a go, its just I when you talk about brakes you need to do things right or you could die.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast