Thread: 20v quads on 16v 4AGE head

Name
    Allan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Hi, ive come up against a small hicup with putting my 4AGE back together. I bought some 20v quads with adapter
    plate which was suppose to be a T3 adapter plate. The problem i have is the 20v TPS is hitting on top radiator outlet
    it doesnt matter if i go for the FWD outlet or RWD outlet it still hits, if i take off the TPS oviously it clears it no worrys.
    If i modfied the outlet somehow it would prob clear but then i can't use my pretty blue RWD radiator hoses (n)
    Any suggestions or has anyone come up against this problem. Any info would be greatful!!!!!

Cheers. Allan :2thumbs:

Name
    zilla
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

EDIT - just read your post again. The only T3 adaptors I have seen mount the quads upside down hence the TPS is situated back near the firewall, and the throttle cable linkage sits underneath the throttle bodies. Are you sure it is a T3 adaptor you have? I had other issues described below, with the TPS plug fouling on the heater pipes back near the firewall, but got it working ok.

I think had the same problem although the TPS wasn't hitting the hose, the TPS plug was. btw I use the T3 adapter on a bigport head.

I ditched the standard hose and got a straight piece with some of that coil spring stuff you slip around the tubes to make your own elbows. Mind you, i only just managed to get the correct angle without the cross section of the hose crimping over and reducing flow. But it seems to work ok.

I managed to just shape the elbow slightly different to the factory hose bend, which allowed the tps to plug to fit (just). Its a pain to get the tps plug off though, you have to get a screw driver down there & carefully slide it between the hose and tps plug to unclip the plug.

In a nutshell I think the upside down ITB adaptor from T3 is bad because of this issue, and because the accelerator cable routing is shit. It works ok if you have the single cable pulley model of the 20v quads, but if you have the double pulley type, then your accel cable has to make a really sharp bend before the firewall & makes the cable action sticky. Well thats what I found, anyway.

Upright custom adaptors ftw I say. Easy TPS access and good go-cable routing. But you will sort it out and will hardly notice the difference until you have to fiddle with things again.

Name
    Rich
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

have you tried fliping the mani around so the tps is at the back.
    i think thats how some people get around this.. i could be wrong tho. I'm about to do this shortly too.

richie

edit. dang I'm too slow at typing.

Name
    Allan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

[quote]

Hey mate thanks heaps for that info!! just thought ill make sure you know that this is what I'm talking about, so
    pretty much you had to make up a modified outlet to clear the TPS plug?
    [attachment=27995:08072008.jpg]

Name
    Aaron
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

I think he means you have your throttle bodies mounted upside down on the manifold.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Jul 8 2008, 06:24 PM) </div>thats what i reckon

no TPS to be seen in this picture

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yep, my quads are mounted to the adaptor upside down to the above (PHAT86's pic), making the TPS near to the firewall, no dramas
    4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Name
    zilla
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

This is how mine looks in the pic below.

Maybe you adaptor isn't a T3 one? With regards to mounting the quads upside down that was suggested - well that is fairly well impossible, given that the mounting pattern is a triangular shape, so they only go on one way (as I'm sure you know).

[attachment=28045:engine.JPG]

Name
    Kane
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

allan if you need some help you can pop around to mine and check out my setup.