Thread: Ideal 20V water temp?

Name
    Vesley
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hey guys,
    working on my cooling setup at the moment with an EWP. I've set the pump to switch on at 80degs which is what the stock thermostat opens at. But not sure what temp to set as a switch off point. I was thinking around 95degs?
    Any suggestions?

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

usually your switch off point is less than switch on, ideally the temp is going to drop once the pump turns on

Havent had much luck with the controllers, once its close to temp (60 or so) id just let it come on and stay on, other wise they don't seem capable of "catching" the engine temp.

gunbz-r

I usually go for 88 on, 80 off, Usually ends up creepin to the 90 region, but as long as it stays under 95 she'll be right.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Jul 15 2008, 09:15 AM) </div>My setup at the moment has an ewp and controller - but the controller doesnt seem capable of holding a set temp as good as a traditional thermostat setup. It will be ok in stop start traffic - ranging from 80-90 degrees, but at cruising will sit on 65-70 degrees!

I'm puting in a thermostat now too....

gunbz-r

Have you disabled or taken out the factory pump?

Name
    Vesley
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

For my setup, I've completely removed the thermostat and water pump. As for the controller I decided to go with the jaycar temp control kit. 30 bux as opposed to 200 something for the ewp hand controller.

Also, would it be bad if no water is circulating around the engine during warm up with the ewp?

gunbz-r

no water will flow during warm up in any standard engine, it does but not really, not until the thermostat opens.

if you take out the thermostat in a standard engine it will over cool, imo anything under 75 degrees is cool.

For any heat to be removed, the heat needs to be transferred (no tech terms its tooo late) if water is constantly flowing around the engine, 2 things are likely to happen. It will overheat, and you will not know it as the water is cool, and the temp sensor reads the water not the block, or it will over cool, as the water is flowing at a slow enough rate to remove the heat from the block/head, but is flowing constantly.

This is where the davies craig ewp controllers come into their own ( I'm not sure how the jaycar one works) as you can select speed of flow aswell as when it switches on, giving you total control.

In the end it is trial and error, unless your a ewp god and have fitted many a system. The way I would suggest is for you to turn it on at say 80-85 and switch it off at 78, as this doesn't give a very long period for the pump to be on and cooling, but should keep it out of the danger zone 95+

as i said trial and error, but try and keep it in the high 80's if possible, engine like being hot, just not to hot.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Jul 15 2008, 11:31 PM) </div>I am running a short belt (so the factory water pump doesnt move), but the water still runs through it.

Name
    Vesley
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Jul 16 2008, 11:57 PM) </div>But the 4age's have water still circulating around the engine with the thermostat closed, just not through the radiator. I think it's to eliminate any hot spots while the engine is heating up.

Thats why I was wondering if there would be any adverse effects with the water pump completely stopped, cos I think the davies craig controller still pulses slightly to keep the water moving around.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shelldrake @ Jul 16 2008, 11:57 PM) </div>To make it more effective you should really remove the water pump impeller, otherwise it'll be creating a huge restriction on the water flow.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vezza @ Jul 18 2008, 09:29 AM) </div>It runs cool enough atm! lol. It's one of the configurations davis craig suggest. I will do this after I have put a thermostat in though...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast