Thread: o2 sensor for adaptronic -

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default o2 sensor for adaptronic -

just looking into what option is best in regards to an 02 sensor for my 20v and adaptronic combo....

As I understand it I need a wide band sensor to take advantage of the adaptive tuning mode on the adapts......?

cheers..
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

To run the engine, you don't need a O2 sensor.
    To get some sort of O2 reading on the Adaptronic/laptop software you can use any O2 sensor at all and there would be a way of wiring it up.
    For closed loop idle I think a regular factory style narrow band O2 sensor is normal to use, either 1 wire or 3, 4 wires etc. Not 100% sure of how well the Adaptronic works with this or how hard it is to setup. It is not nessesary to get the motor running well.

For adaptive tuning, I think you should have (maybe a narrow band would sort of work?) a wideband 5 wire O2 sensor.

The way I have done it is to use a complete Innovate wideband system with its own power suply, and you just plug a serial cable from the Innovate to the Adaptronic and it all works. Select "Innovate" or similar in the options on the laptop software. There are a few other wideband systems you can use, and Adaptronic will be compatable with most.

However it seams it takes more knowledge and time to setup the options for adaptive tuning to work properly, than it would just to tune it manualy. I havn't spent enough time with it. I was able to get the maps reasonable myself, but the "adaptive" system just stuffed everything up again. Obviosly my perameters were not right. Experienced tuners tell me the adaptive function is just a gimmic.

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I personally don't run o2 sensors permanently on many installs. Often the wideband is in for initial setup, and as a second opinion to the dyno's wideband, but it then comes out and the ecu is locked off. Most people who are installing ecu's in cars like ours arent too concerned about closed loop idle etc. If you want to run one just to have, i can supply a new NTK 4 wire that works fine, or any generic 4 wire will work. If you want to have a serious look at tuning and features, buy a proper LSU wideband, innovative, tech edge, M & W etc etc.

As for the adaptive mode, it can work very well but as Johnny suggested, often requires more setup time than a full tune on a dyno anyway. I have successfully set up adaptive mode, closed the laptop lid, driven for a few hours in a wide variety of conditions and achieved a good result as proven by subsequent dyno work. But I still usually just dyno tune manually.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the LC1 (inovative?) wideband has been successfull on a mates rotory, using a megasquirt.

though it has broken...twice....over the last few years, but theyve just sent out a brand new one each time.

i think it goes for about 400us or so.

i was under the impression that adaptive mode wasnt much good on open throttles anyway? as the map signal will be all over the shop? as oposed to a turbo engine its pretty constant.

Name
    Oliver
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Place up north Kade Speed & Marine sell the Innovate kits in Aus. They have an eBay shop where I bought my LC-1 Kit.

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah I personally like tech edge stuff but the innovative seems fine too.

Actually Dave, at WOT the MAP sensor is very stable. pretty much 1 Bar

Adaptronics run 20V's on MAP x TPS mode, which works very, very well. I plan to do a tech article on it soon.

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for the responses guys...
    Going off all that I may not worry about the adaptive tuning mode, as I was understanding it it was like a thing where you would get it tuned on the dyno and then run the adaptive mode on the street etc and it would just clean up any small hiccups and whatnot that show up under load/street conditions...

anyways, cheers..

I will speak to you about it more Ant when I come grab the adapt (possibly today)
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hmm interesting, how about the rest of the engine range though? like 10%,20%,30% throttle? im just curious is all....

being a smaller opening could also cause a fair bit of turbulence? though i guess pressure should be fairly constant...

being a tuner your gonna be the most experienced, can you shed any light?

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

The recent Adaptronic I setup with quads, I had it just in TPS mode, not MAP x TPS. I had some problems, can't remember what I did now.