Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: questions about cams...

Name
    Carlo
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

althought stronger conrods etc will definately be needed for these cams yeah?
    what other mods do u have to your engine spotterone?

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

silvertop rods are fine for 8500 from people who have raced with them
    30kw club

Oldschool Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (#109 @ Jul 30 2008, 11:56 PM) </div>It's easier to ask "what mods haven't been done to your engine"!!!

I could answer that with underbucket shims and oversized valves.

I had those cams running with standard 16v BIGPORT rods and pistons, though somewhat unsuccessfully. When you shave enough of your head and block to get good compression ratio's, the valves will touch the outside of the piston flycut. They don't bottom out on the piston, they just hit right on the outer edge. The engine actually ran fine for quite a while, and a leakdown test showed that the valves were still sealing, but its not ideal.

That didn't stop the engine anyway. It wound up being a broken ring land that stopped it, which I'm fairly certain only happened because the pistons have had a hard life, and I'm making good horsepower.

As Sam says, the 20v and 16v smallport rods should be fine up to about 8500RPM and lots of HP. Personally, I like to keep my rev limiter down to 8100RPM with a 100 rev softcut because I hit it so often on a racetrack. I must install a shiftlight one of these days!

Having said all that, I'm putting spool conrods, ARP Rod bolts and Forged pistons in my new motor. I can't be bothered pulling it apart again, so this time I'm doing it properly.

Name
    Carlo
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

hmmm ok
    well i think ill jsut keep my redline down set it at 8ish and hope my engine don't break

sooo where do i get cams from and whats involved in installing them

Oldschool Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (#109 @ Jul 31 2008, 11:09 PM) </div>I assume you would get the cams from any reputable cam supplier. I make an assumption because mine is a 16v. I got mine from Wade Cams.

You will need the following:

adjustable cam gears.
    a pile of shims to re-shim your valves. Quite often bigger shims are required.
    someone to "dial-in" your cams (or do it yourself if you have the gear and skills)
    retune of your ecu

It is good insurance to fit a new cambelt

Its certainly worthwhile getting a cambelt kit that has the tensioner bearing in it.

Not cheap if you do it properly. I did all the work myself, so I saved a bundle. I would estimate something in the region of $1500 - $2500 for all that to be done for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3