Thread: AE86 Bonnet.. same as ae82 bonnet????? or anything else in aus same?

Oldschool Member

hey guys

kinda need a urgent respose. the car i am about to purchase in japan has a carbon fibre bonnet with quick release function.

So I'm obviously going to have to put on a normal bonnet.. at least for compliance...

Does the any other model toyota bonnet fit ae86??????? eg ae82?????????

Thanks. jimmy raacarr

Name
    Matt
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

No. AE86 is AE86. You need an AE86 bonnet.

Oldschool Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt-AE86 @ Aug 5 2008, 01:44 PM) </div>thanks.

Oldschool Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (caseystoner @ Aug 5 2008, 12:16 PM) </div>
    I'd have it inspected first... See if it passes. At worst, borrow a bonnet for the day of inspection.

riojin

^ I'm interested in this.

if you import a car from japan can you take it home and bring it up to standard for compliance or does it have to stay at the docks or in a mechanics workshop?

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (floody31 @ Aug 5 2008, 05:00 PM) </div>I hear in NSW that is certainly a bad idea, if it fails then that's it for the car more often than not, track only will never get rego here. This may only apply to those cars brought in that are made after 89 though.

gunbz-r

^^^^ true, modified cars+the pits=huuuuge fail, they wouldn't even pass my ae111 with lowered springs in it

Oldschool Member

Well check the process first. Obviously items have to be changed prior to the compliance inspection; tyres, fluids etc.
    If the bonnet is not a compliance issue, then it could only be a roadworthy issue, so you wouldn't have to change it until roadworthy time.
    Unfortunately I'm not really au fait with the rules in your state regarding compliancing and roadworthiness, in regard to specific issues, order of the process etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Golberg @ Aug 5 2008, 05:56 PM) </div>Surely that would only be if it is not deemed in a state of satisfactory condition to be complied, due to rust etc?

Oldschool Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Aug 5 2008, 06:41 PM) </div>
    yes mate u can take it home and get it up to scrap. may need a Raws to do the seatbelts for you though...and child restraint... but things like changing bonnet, suspension from how i understand it is all okay to do from home. then take it for compliance.

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (floody31 @ Aug 5 2008, 06:36 PM) </div>Well in one particular instance I read in another forum, someone imported a JZX91 and then it failed compliance due to them finding a tiny little ripple in the engine bay inner skirt panel. I guess that suggested it may have been in an accident before and so that was it for the guy, he's ended up parting it out now.

Now it may only be for apparent damage, but whatever the case I'd be very careful to make sure the car looks totally perfect before it sees a compliance inspection.