Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Diesel power... Yes or No?

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Arent diesel fumes worse than standard unleaded fuel? Negating any positives effects of the lower consumption?

Swore i read that somewhere...
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Aaron
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

maybe so with older diesel cars but newer diesel cars run much more efficiently and cleaner than unleaded cars. most newer diesels run cat converter systems that store carbon and carbon offsets. then as the catalysts become full the cats burn it off. temps from the burn off get as high as 550-600 celsius. this creates chemical reactions and yada yada etc etc. in the end the outcome is very very minimal harmful emmisions

when i was doing training at holden for this system we tried it and burnt the floor. it turned out your supposed to do it while driving. haha

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah they did studies in the uk, turns out that diseasals just make finers particles than they were used to dealing with, and are actually worse. And they dont get burnt out, they go from one engine and to the next until they get heavier and heavier and eventually either fall down somewhere, get stuck in a lung or air cleaner. Are also very carcinogenic too.

but i still like them, a mate has a dmax, 6.5L twin turbo, diseasal v8 in his patrol, pulls 12s.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Rob
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I own a 2003 2.0 TDCI Ford Mondeo (130hp, 330nm) and it pulls like crazy, before we bought it, I checked all other turbo diesels available, and had test drives in nissans, citroens, mazdas, vw's, but the mondeo has factory overboost, and it was most powerfull in it's class and price range at the time. 4th gear 80 to 120km/h acceleration is better than in the Mondeo ST220 (220hp 280nm), even though 0-100 times are better in the ST220.

Living in europe for the last 8 years or so, I've also driven an Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 TDi 221hp, 450nm@1400rpm, an Audi A8 Quattro 4.0 TDi V8, 275hp, 650nm@1600rpm, and been a passenger in the latest 745d bmw, which has 700nm and 335hp. All I can say is, that when the diesels accelerate they pull the same thoughout the revs, because their torque curve is usually flat, from just above idle...

One thing they lack is the exhaust note of petrol engines when modified. I have a friend in poland who has a modified bmw 325tds touring, has a 3" exhaust, front mount ic, and when he canes it, it sounds like a truck accelerating without a loud, down a hill... really loud too.

I don't mind modern diesels, they are bloody fast, and not as noisey as they used to be.

Name
    mark
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

in most european countries diesel is the same price or in some cases much cheaper than petrol. which is why it is so popular over there. in austailia trucks ruin our roads. so the government wanted to tax them to pay for the damage they do. but a tax for driving on the road is prohibited by our constitution. so they put an excise on diesel. plus with our gst on the total price. so with a $3000 premium over a new petrol car even with better fuel economy you never break even.

also i think its the golf(could be wrong) that only comes with the small diesel filler and in the country not all petrol stations have a bowser cos they have high flow ones

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

pretty sure the excise... was only a reversal of the subsidy the government had been payiing to keep deisal cheap for transport costs. The conspiracy theory of governments wanting trucks to stop using the roads is frankly wrong. There would be so many onflow effects that the country would literally collapse.

its not the price that has made deisal soo attractive. In fact in most european countries deisal is only significantly cheaper for machinery and hauling... they use different coloured deisal and its easy to spot on road side testing. the fines are astronomical. The reason europe has gone full gang for deisal is the same japan is so heavily invested in hydrogen. Availability. Bio deisal hs been VERY opular in europe for decades, and they have centuries of production to draw apon for cheap renewable oil resources. It makes sense. Japan dosnt have a lot of land. It has a fuclkload of water at its becon call though. You make do with whats available. Thats my problem with alcohol based fuels. All its doing is artificialy inflating the sugarcane industry instead of investing in long term sustainability. America will be the only long term market for alcohol fuels, they are doing it for the same reasons, so exporting wont be a big winner. The australian market isnt big enough to sustain the market for very long, and asia will hit hydrogen in a big way in the next 2 decades. The biodeisal ( i keep changing the spelling of diesal requires substandard farming land and non consumption quality oil producers. Using the vast quantities of land available in wa along a coast with self sufficient sea water purification for land managment, its a wholly renewable fuel source.

sorry for the essay.

yeah also further up... i didnt mean they are revy.... just that the new generation engines are REVVIER...... 5500 is fucking hugs for a deisal
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Ethan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

when petrol runs out and theres only electric cars im going to neck my self

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I don't agree at all, whilst I understand the point you are making its not nullified at all. Its is MUCH more efficient to create electricity in a power station than generate power from a combustion engine.

For example:
    Say you put X amount of fossil fuel into a power station and the same into a car.

The electricity generated from the power station would power several more cars than just the single combustion engined car which you put the same amount of fuel into.

I mean I love fossil fuel powered cars, but its not going to last.

EDIT - Sorry kinda adding more off topic spurs to an already off topic spur thread

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i'll go back to riding horses with a cardboard bodykit of a ae86. 1hp at all for wheels baby!!
    dose

Name
    Andrew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

A horse is the ultimate all-terrain vehicle.
    Because race car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast