Thread: HID headlights

mattyn

hey guys,
    really enjoyed my mates HID lights the other night, the clarity was awesome so I'm looking at at a HID conversion,
    i don't want the blue tint of Hi Kelvin lamps, so 6000K will be right for me.

saw this

I'm not sure on the quality, i couldn't imagine it'd be fantastic, but thats cheap!!!
    so i guess the questions are who's using them, where did you source yours, and for those in the know what do you think about this Chinese set?(above link)

thanks for your thoughts/comments.

Matt

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

ok for a start 6500K should be pure white with no hint of blue, however most people who arnt used to looking at varied colour tempretures think they have blue tints because they are too used to looking at normal globes.

Glare is a serious issue and I had to face my lights directly at the road infront of me to stop people high-beaming me. I have now ordered 4300K globes to replace my old globes so I can hopefully have less glare and therfore tilt them to a usefull angle again.

That link is not for a direct plug and play model, the proper kits have a plug that goes into the socket that previously would plug into the back of your H4 globe.

The postage is steep but I am sure you have already seen it.

Try this product instead:

just select the colour you want and the globe type at the bottom, you want a H4-2

this is a fully plug in kit
    30kw club

Name
    Art
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

is this the same kit your running sam? ive been thinking about getting some HID's and if this kit is a direct bolt in job then my mind is set :E
    VLNY

mattyn

I'm wondering whether they are the same supplier with one more person in the middle making an easy 30ish USD..

Decription from AUD 24.95 + USD 49.95 MODEL:

Xenon HID headlamps designation is the high pressure gas discharge lamp.
    The principle is stimulating the positive and negative electrical XENON with the rare metal chemical reaction ,fireing up to 6000K color temperature of light.
    Its illumination level is excessing far way from traditional halogen lamp
    ,which colour temperature is also closest to the colour temperature solar noon and the most comfortable colour lighting level to our eyes
    In addition. Xenon elements activity ability become more and more lively with the extended time increasingly.therefore ,gas Intensity discharge lamp maybe used more and more luminous .

AND Decription from USD 49.95 + USD 49.95 MODEL:

Xenon HID headlamps designation is the high pressure gas discharge lamp.
    The principle is stimulating the positive and negative electrical XENON with the rare metal chemical reaction ,fireing up to 6000K color temperature of light.
    Its illumination level is excessing far way from traditional halogen lamp
    ,which colour temperature is also closest to the colour temperature solar noon and the most comfortable colour lighting level to our eyes
    In addition. Xenon elements activity ability become more and more lively with the extended time increasingly.therefore ,gas Intensity discharge lamp maybe used more and more luminous .

These two user ALSO state the EXACT SAME product features, performance advantages, even the layout is exactly the same!!!

Sam, I'm not having a go, do you really think the other one is definately Not a plug and play cos we could all save some dollars.. what do you think?? this is probs about 30 - 40 AUD difference (to hazard a guess) when thinking about exchange rates??

thanks again!

matt

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

guys i will try and take a picture for you both tomorrow, then i will do some explaining
    30kw club

Name
    Luc
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Wouldn't you need bi-xenon? for hi and low beams?

Name
    Art
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

shiiiieetttt, now I'm just confused
    VLNY

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

guys I wont be able to take that picture today but I will and I will explain all you need to know over the next few days.

stylz: theres not much to know and luckily its easy to explain so stay tuned.
    30kw club

nowadays all HIDs are made in china. i bought mine for $160 Hi/Lo included shipping
    use 8000k pure white

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

here:

the top one is the same as the cheaper kit and although not pictured comes with a connector that joins off the two high voltage cables pictured and goes to the ballast.

The bottom one has the H4 power connector and all the crap you theoreticly need to just hook it up and get it to run. However I am having some weird problems with this but I think I know the cause of the problem.

Heres is an original Vs 6500K (real 6500) installed in my car:

note that the camera isnt the best and the light looks a little blue in the photo

The Dual xenon means that you have a HID fillament for high and low beam, what is pictured at the top is known as a H4-2 and only has a low beam xenon fillament. Seeing I am a suberbs guy and don't travel much outside of town so it suits me just fine. Also if you do run these in high beam and you think that people get pissed off when you have your high beams on normally then just wait till they cop one of these!

jefz: thats not right, pure white is 6500 but many chinese seem to still not know how to read a colour chart properly or can't take a decent photo (just like the way I didnt! hehehehe). Why am I so confident about this? well lets just say its a decent part of my day job.

Also guys something to keep in mind you all probably want pure white globes like I did initually but the catch is the glare is horrid, I had to angle mine right at the road to stop getting high beamed by everyone. I ordered a pair of 4200K globes to replace my 6500K globes and so far they look promising. They have heaps less glare and as a bonus its not obvious that they are HID's which is good seeing they are illegal in Vic without self leveling headlights. The 4200K is roughly between the 6500K and conventional halogen car globes, so its something to thinnk about.
    30kw club