Name
    Robbie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Robbie's Ae86ie adventures.

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share my ae86 with you all on the new forum.

It's come along way since I bought it, and I'm finally happen with the setup of the car for the first time ever! so I'm very excited to have something with a proper balance.

Earliest photo:

December 2007

Most Recent:

May 2009

Mods include:

Stock 4agze
    7kg/mm Front Coilovers 4kg/mm Rear Coilovers
    JDM Front Brakes
    Whiteline adjustable swaybars
    Ultimate bracing front strut brace
    Cusco Rear strut brace
    JDM 7 Point roll cage
    FRP front guards
    14x6.5 SSR reverse mesh rims
    New "heavy duty" Clutch
    TRD 2 way LSD T-series diff

Life story with pics:

When I first got the car, it had king springs, a locked diff, and a 4agze. This setup was horribly unbalanced, it spun heaps and was very hard to control, especially considering I wasn't a very competent drifter either.

My lack of decent drift tyres didn't help either, and just made the setup worse.

Then one night at Archerfield, this happened...

It was all pretty exciting, the car gripped up mid-drift as my rev's were too low, and I was still at full lock, so all of a sudden the car started heading towards the wall, and I only managed to straight the wheel enough to be facing parallel to the tyre wall, which may have made things worse. Rather then hitting them, the car climbed up the tyres, at fairly low speed, went up on to two wheels, then collapsed onto its side. eventually ever so slowly tipping onto the roof.

All and all the damage wasn't so bad, and was an easy fix.

And I got to get ugly roof coloured Silver at the same time!

Just in case, I installed a full 7 point roll cage, which I actually ordered before this had happened!

The cars also suffered really badly from body roll, so while I was at it, I installed coilovers all round.

The JDM brakes are a more recent addition.

So the car was all sorted again, and ready to slide on the new coilovers.

I still seemed to struggle a lot to get the thing drifting, at least now I wasn't spinning so much thanks to the coilovers. Josh Young had a lap of it to see if he could give me some pointers, and after failing to be able to drift it either, we came to the conclusion that I needed a new clutch.

So a new clutch it was. I figured while I was pulling the driveline apart I might as well upgrade it. So I added in a TRD 2 way LSD as well, and to finish the car off, some sway bars!

I tried out some spacers too, but didn't really have much luck with them, so I canned that idea.

Now with the sway bars on, the 2 way LSD, a clutch that didn't slip and some proper tyres, all in the same size. the car was finally balanced. and once I turned the supercharger on, it was soo much easier to drift.

So off to parklands I want, and I was struggling at first, the setup felt worse then ever, and I felt like I had completely forgotten how to drive a car, it just wouldn't stop understeering. My brother pointed out to me that he couldn't hear my car at all when I was out there, and it hit me that my car didn't seem to have the same amount of power as I'd remembered. So I figured out which switch turned the supercharger on, and away I went.

I was so confident with the setup now, I was happy to join in on the drift trains, even though before that day I would have never considered myself a confident drifter.

So that's pretty much it to date. The car is finally setup now the way I want it. So hopefully you'll see me much more regularly at local drift events.

Name
    Joe
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

awsome work mate! hope to see it at qr one time!!
    stay classy

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

nice return to glory champ... good work..
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Name
    Jordan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Impressive.. Will you be hitting archy any time soon ?

Name
    Robbie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

lol, Thanks for the kind words guys.

I hope not to be "Hitting" Archerfield anytime soon. but I will go back soon, I think there is a lot less tyres there now, my main concern is denting my panels even more, it gets so expensive, I just want a few drift days that doesn't cost me more then the entry fee and fuel, lol.

Bad Email Address

Good too see the progress and fun!!

What brand coilovers did you get ?
    Why did you choose them ?

Name
    Robbie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The rears are Tein, I got them because they are a trusted brand, has lots of adjustability and was a direct bolt in fit. The fronts are Custom Compact, custom made ones with agx shocks, I got them because in my opinion, its the best possible setup available locally.

The spring rates I choose because there is a heavier supercharged engine in the front, and no weight in the back, I think the balance worked out quite well with the 7/4. It's good while not being too stiff, since there are a lot of crappy roads out there.

Name
    Dom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Sounds like you've had a hell of a learing curve. Good on ya for coming back stronger for it!
    Just curious about something. You said your supercharger has a switch? On/Off? Wouldn't that make it a slugg with it off?
    The Track Car Build: Indigo
    The Street Car Build: Street Build
    A Heap Of For Sale: The Heap

Name
    Robbie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thanks, Yes, the supercharger can be turned on and off while driving, With it off the car is rated to around 70hp. So it makes things a little tricky when you try to drift in a car that has quite a grippy setup, and you expect to be able to get the thing sideways just by using the accelerator. So I end up looking very spastic and silly if I try drifting with it off, lol.

Name
    Karl
    State
    S.A.
    Country
    Austria

Which Tiens did you use on the rear? Did you have to mod the top mount much?
    RokuSteady : Shakotan - Tsuraichi - Hippari - Onikyan : 神奈川 様式

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast