Thread: Two piece rim problems....

Unhappy

Howdy i have a pair of 2 piece Volk mesh rims that i just pulled the centres out of to have powdercoated. I have heard a few different opinions about putting them back together but wanted to hear from others what they reckon. I was wondering if i should just do the nuts up and use loctite studlock or i have also heard that if the centre is not torqued evenly it can throw the wheels centre balance out.. :unsure: ..! I'm not sure weather to got to see a pro or do it myself, Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Name
    underwood
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ADM 86 @ Aug 29 2008, 11:55 PM) </div>just do them up with loc tight thats all i did never had a problem just do them up as tight as possible if your worried check them every now and then

cheers mate i did that and then put them on the ballancer without tyres and they turned out even was happy with that! Thanks for your reply :2thumbs:

Banned

Torquing the bolts/nuts ensures that they are all tightened evenly (by hand, there can be some discrepancy) Loctite helps stop nuts from coming lose from vibration/rotation loads on wheels too. Just make sure the center is sitting flat and flush in the rim and you should be ok!
    I used new bolts when putting wheels back together for peace of mind, as when doing up bolted connections stresses the bolts and they undergo some elongation - then relax, effectively fatiguing them, too much of this can lead to failure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (741 @ Aug 31 2008, 12:38 PM) </div>Cheers mate, I was actually going to pm ya as i remember seeing your's had kind of the same two piece style but was unsure. I replaced all the nuts but not the bolts :unsure: . Ohh well.. I just put them on the car before and took them for a quick test drive and they feel as though they're are all fine. Thanks again guys it's good to have a tech section where ya can always ask questions and get good advice! :2thumbs:
    Here's a before and after anyway
    [attachment=30362:volk_meshies.jpg]
    [attachment=30361:30082008_001_.jpg].

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Its a good idea to use nylock nuts (always replace after taking off)... and torque in an even 'criss cross' pattern across the wheel, building up the toque over a couple of passes.

ps what is in your avatar? looks like a dash light for 'hot exhaust' or something

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobertoX @ Aug 31 2008, 04:00 PM) </div>Yeah did that too did 3 passes to make sure they were all tight as f*#k.

LOL yeah it's off a jdm dash didn't know what it meant and still don't know why its there. Anyone know the point of this?

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

My Volk wheels are 3 piece. The main thing was to put silicon back in the join so they wouldn't leak air.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, with 3 piece you need to rough up the sealing surface and use silicone. Leaky rims suck big time

I think the characters mean "expelled - weather (air?) - warm" ie "hot exhaust", possibly the cat temp sensor? I thought that since you had it in your avatar you would know what it meant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobertoX @ Aug 31 2008, 09:36 PM) </div>Lol interesting. Was actually waiting for someone to ask me and clear that up for me so cheers i can change it now :teehee: