Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Engine won't turn over, seems to be seized.

Name
    Mal
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

I found i hard to get my engine turning in my old celica when putting a 2tgeu in it. I found that running some extra earth wires from starter and engine to chassis made a big difference in how much power the starter put out. Ta22s seem to be poor earthers.
    If that doesn't help take the timing belt off an try to turn it slowly...

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I was thinking that maybe the timing was out one full turn on one cam, as in one cam over advanced or something, but as was pointed out to me before the 4ag's are a non interference motor, and as long as the marks are lined up i don't think you can actually be 360 degrees out cause the cam is in the same position anyways. So stupid comment no.2 for me this post :lol:

Maybe pull the rocker covers off and look for anything obvious stopping it from turning it over, is there anyway something could have dropped into the motor before it was put in your celica?

I would take the belt of again and try turning the cams and crank seperatly.

Name
    underwood
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eightsixboy @ Aug 31 2008, 12:37 AM) </div>i recon your hitting a valve dude, long long time ago i did this with a mate (who was a apprentice machanic) we changed the head gasket then put the head on he set the timming up 180degrees out and the same thing happend we could turn it a little then nothing

so my question is was no. 1 piston at top dead centre when you lined the holes up on your cam gears cause if it wasnt bad news my friend

Name
    Vlad
    State
    Sacred Valley
    Country
    Peru

I'd turn it with a socket the opposite way to whatever you turned it before. I assume you turned it clockwise to set the cams, so you turn it anticlockwise now. If it turns at all then you're hitting a valve, so re-do the timing.

If that unscrews the crank pulley bolt then is probably time to whip the head off. If you're sitting with a piston against a valve you don't want to force it.

When I was 15 I bought a burnt-out Armstrong Siddeley Typhoon, and over the three years it took to get it on the road it siezed up. I took the head off (tried a crowbar on the crankhandle dog) and used a rounded bit of 4x4 timber and a sledge hammer to loosen it!!! :lol:

The rings were gummed solid and I thrashed it up and down hills trailing a thick cloud of smoke late at night before it freed up!

Bad Email Address

350hp4agte - I'm not sure I didn't check whether it was at top dead center but I lined the crankshaft mark up with the mark on the engine so I would assume that it would be have been/still be at TDC.

greeneyes - I've tried turning it the opposite way but it just undoes the bolt.

Tonight I'm going to pull off the clutch/flywheel, and then if no luck I'll take off the timing belt and see if I can get it to move at all. Because it turned over a month or so ago fine, I suspect I've just installed something wrong, most likely the timing belt or flywheel. And also the fact that it is rock solid, if it had seized in that time, I'd be able to get it move at least a little I would think.

my guess is flywheel or clutch,,

something fudged up there, not real sure tho

tell us when u find out

Name
    Simon
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

random long shot's, it's not accidently in gear when your trying to turn it over? mix that with a dicky starter solinoid and there's ya problem!

don't think I'm taking the piss because it's happened before

Bad Email Address

Nah mate I've taken the gearbox off now and its still not turning over.

Small update - I just took the clutch/flywheel off before and still no go. About to go take off the timing belt now and give it another shot.

Bad Email Address

Ok bit of progress!

I started removing the plastics covering the timing belt so I could take that off. Got down to the plastic piece behind the crankshaft pulley, so I had to take off the pulley to get that off. I tried to undo the crankshaft bolt with the socket the same way I had been trying to get the motor to turn over(except in the opposite direction) - everytime I had tried to turn the motor over in reverse the bolt just came undone. This time it was difficult to get the bolt undone because the engine was hanging off the engine crane, so I grabbed a rubber mallet and smacked the socket/wrench downwards, and guess what happens...instead of the bolt coming undone, the motor begins to turn over in reverse. I could turn it over in reverse by hand after that, but only to a certain point, turning it over the correct way also stopped at the same point it was stuck at before. So it seems like it is definitely hitting something. Would it be the cam gears/timing belt installed wrong?

Cheers, Matt

Oldschool Member

Yes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast