Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Engine won't turn over, seems to be seized.

Bad Email Address

Hey guys, after spending a couple months installing a 4AGE smallport into my TA22 celica, I finally went to start it and all I hear is a knock from the starter each time I turn the key. I removed the starter and tested it and it works fine out of the car. Then I went to try and turn the engine over by hand (using the crankshaft bolt) and it wouldn't move.

I bought this engine with 60,000ks on it, and I have turned it over before a few times by hand when I took the timing belt off (I knocked the cams out of place so I had to set them all to their marks to put the belt back on). If I remember correctly when I was turning it over by hand it started to get harder towards the end but I got it to the mark so I didn't bother worrying about it. Now, there was no oil in the engine at this stage. I'm not sure how long it sat without oil, would have to ask AJPS.

I am now at the stage where I have removed the engine and gearbox from the car, taken the gearbox off, removed the spark plugs and squirted a little oil with a syringe into each spark plug hole, and it still won't budge at all.

Any ideas what it could be and what I should be doing next to try and fix it?

Thanks in advance, any help is very much appreciated!

Cheers, Matt

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

If its not your battery then it will be a loose connection somewhere. Check your battery and make sure the terminal connections are tight.

Oldschool Member

Try doing it with a breaker bar + socket.

If that doesn't work then you better start pulling her down.

Bad Email Address

eightsixboy - no offence but it doesn't sound like you read the whole post. I can't even turn it over by hand, the starter/electricals are working fine.

Rollabender - Is there any chance of damaging it by putting too much pressure on it? I would like to give it a go with a decent sized breaker bar but if there is something stopping it from turning then I might break something.

Oldschool Member

It's pretty fucking difficult to snap the nose off a crank, but not unheard of. It takes ALOT of force to do it though.

The worst you'll probably do is explode a socket.

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

:blink: whoops my bad, i read the first 1/4 and immediatley thought connections. sorry.

When you say the cams got moved when taking the timing belt of did you put them back to there marks in the opposite direction they moved in? Maybe one cam is 180 degrees out?

Oldschool Member

This is a possibility, but i was under the distinct impression that all iterations of the 4AG were non-interference, so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rollabender @ Aug 30 2008, 07:13 PM) </div>True.

You wouldn't think a motor would just seize, even if a piston is hitting a valve you can still turn it over untill that point of contact, especially if it hasnt even being started since the belt has been of.

Bad Email Address

I'm not 100% sure what you mean eightsixboy about the cams, I just turned them until they were at the marks, didnt take notice of which way I turned them. How would I check if they were out or not?

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

if you can't get it to budge at all then id be pulling the motor out and pull it down. usually you keep oil in it and turn it over every few weeks or month to make sure that it all stays free moving.

i seem to remember a 3tc that had been sitting for quite a while was quite hard to turn over to start with after it had been turned over a few times it was quite easy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast