Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: information on 3sgte

Bad Email Address

hi guys.

i have gone through the faq in search of info on the 3sgte motor. obviously i have been unsuccessful in finding anything. i would like to find out some info on the motor, like what car it comes from and what everyone thinks of it.

any info is highly appreciated.

thanks for your time

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

if youre considering it for a conversion, its not really a do it at home type..

gen 1.. not around much.. st16x? 4wd celica..

gen 2 is in early sw20 and st185

gen 3 is late sw20, caldina, st205

they have the potential to have oiling issues.

youll need to mod/swap the sump. depends which version you get as to what you do there.

youll need a custom/modified flywheel/clutch combo to run it rwd, or a full kit meant for a sxe10 (altezza)

bolts to w55/7/8 using sa63 bellhousing, or MODIFIED 3Y.

dizzy points out the back of the head.

water inlet at rear of head.

intake unsuitable for rwd.

turbo position unsuitable for rwd.

obviously custom x member/engine brackets and GB x member & tailshaft.

better than an sr, and cheaper, but alot harder conversion.

78's

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

seen this?

30kw club

Bad Email Address

thanks for the info guys... keep it coming.

whats the conversion like to do a beams swap to an ae86???? can the beams motor get turbo'd up???

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnk84 @ Sep 3 2008, 07:16 PM) </div>Yes, but that would ruin a beams motor. They are 150kw stock, more with aftermarket computer, exhaust, intake.

I am doing a 3sgte conversion, mechanical is complete, now wiring. I don't know about 3sgte motors being cheaper, I tossed up throwing a sr20det in as they were a dime a dozen, $1500 including loom, ecu and all other ancillaries. the 3sgte owes me $1900, I bought it as a halfcut and managed to sell the gearbox, crossmember, axles, hubs etc, but it was only good luck. Otherwise it would still owe me $2700.

If you cannot do 95% of the fabrication yourself and are not made of money, don't bother starting. There is a ta22 floating around that was converted by one of the best shops in melbourne to 3sgte and it owes the owner $15,000 for the conversion alone.

3sgte+RWD+ae86 = big money or big job + awesome car!

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah I have to agree on this one, the beams engine is specificly tuned as being a high end atmo engine, I think the best bet is to use a 3sgte engine as a starting place if you want to go down that road
    30kw club

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

beams stock is a fast 86 anyway, and although the engines are expensive, the conversion is simpler, so its worth considering.

gen2s are $1000 motor only i think thats the way to go, as most of the other stuff in the cut isnt too usefull for a FR rwd set up..

ive seen caldina motors go for the same.. but yeah youre not likely to often. a coil on plug one of them might be worth spending on, as its map sensor and no dizzy..

i personally consider a cut out gen2 motor the way to go. cheap, still a better motor than an sr, simple conversion as far as sump ect. even very modest power out of one of these is enough to build a frightfully fast ae86.

but yeah.. ive tallied it up many a time, and doing almost everything myself except for some of the al' welding (which i would cut/ prepare, and can get a good deal on just the welding) i can't seem to foresee it costing much less than $5000 unless i got real lucky on buying alot of the stuff 2nd hand, which i often do but it can't be banked on. not trying "show off" but you can expect it to probably cost you alot more than that.

there is a decent knowledge base out there now, so its no black art really. lots of people (especially IP guys) get them to run reliably.. but theres just ALOT of custom work involved. nothing too out of the ordinary are far as conversions go, just its just about everything that sometimes does need modifying in a conversion, is required in a 3s swap.
    78's

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (af300e @ Sep 3 2008, 10:16 PM) </div>How cheap they are comes down to what they come with. $1500 sounds a little light on for a complete sr20det package. unrepeatable and if it is I'll take 5 3sgte's seem to go from 800 or so for cutout motors (but you throw most of that in the bin anyway) to $4000-$4500 for a ST205 GT4 cut ( alot of which you throw out, but theres a bit of stuff to sell and offset).

My pick of the turbo's would be to find a cutout ST215 3SGTE engine only, preferably auto to make it cheaper, these are crank triggered coil-pack and come with sard 6 hole 530cc injectors standard. Buy a sxe10 pan and pickup and an aftermarket clutch fr sxe10 and you're well on your way for under $4000.

I'm not sure how turboing a beams ruins it though.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

anthony what you said got me thinking, skip the expensive 3sgte and modify a 3sge form a self serve wrecker. This comes to mind:

30kw club

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anthony @ Sep 4 2008, 12:08 AM) </div>They are rare, expensive and go like stink in NA form.

If you turbo one you'll be undoing all the awesome shit that toyota have done.

Basically, turbo beams = dead polar bears

I like Sam's idea, you could use a gen 1 3s (they have intake ports your could fall into) and a gen 2 turbo block (had oil squirters) to build a very cheap/pissed off 2 litre.
    Throw some cams, pistons and an ecu on it and you should see 130kW at the wheels no prob.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast