Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 4AGE just some quick questions

Hey guys!

I scored myself a corolla seca with a 4AGE in it thats goingt o be the base for my conversion into my ae86.

now its FWD mine is going RWD now i know theres heaps of info and etc.. but theres no definitive guide, if
    someone has one could they please link me.

Next im planning to do a full rebuild the major question i have is what should i do? because i have a 4agze
    head from a MR2 aswell would it be worth swaing the blue top head for the red top? also im getting a full
    Gasket Kit and water & oil pumps etc.. just is there anything i sould look out for or any recondmendations
    while im doing it - i dont mind waiting and taking my time to do it. Im not aiming for huge HP just enough to
    keep it spinning in 3rd

i priced up the kit for the rebuild and its only $800 (im getting it through work thats why its cheap)
    the kit is:

full engine gasket kit (incl cam seals, head gasket etc..)
    std rings
    std bareings
    F/R crankseals
    Oil pump
    Water pump
    Ignitiion leads
    Sparkplugs
    Thermostat
    Timing Belt

so bsides all of that while the engine is out what should i do/change that will make life easy

if its been covered let me know cause i've done search a few times and havent found
    the info required.

Also if anyone Wesside doesn't mind lending a hand when i put it into the sprinter that would
    be tops!

Cheers

Name
    Clinton
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

turbo

FTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by svenmate View Post
    I love how all the SA boys get on board
    Quote Originally Posted by Konakid View Post
    im driving out there with new hydro setup
    Quote Originally Posted by myke90 View Post
    haha i have the exact same picture from when i got my sportmaxx lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    whats with the drift rings? i know they are just a novelty but do they represent or signify anything?

Name
    Hugh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

are you saying you are not looking for huge HP, but expect an NA 4age with gze head to spin through third...i wouldnt get your hopes up too much...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hugh @ Sep 5 2008, 02:30 PM) </div>re-read it mate - i was asking is there asy point of using that head and what were my options so
    your saying keeping it NA and having enough power to spin in 3rd not posible?

if your going to leave an answer at least read the post fully and then make a comment.

thanks

and clinton - turbo? is taht the best and cheapest option your thinking? more info please

Name
    Jay
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

guess it just depends on what you want out of the engine, ultimately if your going to the trouble of basically a full rebuild why not change the pistons/rods while your at it and then run some boost through it, or if you want NA it will still be better to change pistons to maybe up the comp a bit for some more power. I know money will be the answer to these but if this is the case save a bit more and wait till you rebuild it at least then you will be happy with it, guess as well if your going from the power of a ca18 to a na 4age you would notice the difference a fair bit.
    Rust is a way of life

Name
    Reeece
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Thats exaclty right trubo is you best/cheapest option is your looking for power and not wanting to pump 3g into a n/a

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (h i t o r i k o @ Sep 5 2008, 03:13 PM) </div>

say i keep it NA what pistons and rods should i get is there something that you can reconmend and what about the heads, the supercharged red top one or the standard
    bluetop one? i dont think theres any differance between them cam wise etc.. can you confirm?

as for the turbo option should i just leave it stock and get the mainifold and turbo etc.etc.. to suit or what should i get rods and piston wise?

thanks for the help guys

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

anything to do with NA and the word "more power" = big bucks!

my suggestions, and they are pretty general i know...

if your going to stick with 16V..

i would get a small port 4age to start with
    i would get some high compression pistons (various brands and prices around, expect around 800$ or so)
    rods: i hear that the smallport 42mm crank rods are quite good in standard form, and should be good for most jobs, there are also aftermarket ones around, but very exy.
    get some cams, nothing to crazy otherwise it will be stupidly undriveable on the street, something around 270 should be good.
    get some porting on the head done, just tidy it up a bit.
    quad throttles off a 20V

and the most important part any after market ecu with a DECENT (<---read that again) tune!! thats the most important part!!!

that will get you cruising nicely.

in my opinion, this is about the limit you want to go with NA, unless you are made of cash, or you have a sponsour.

even if you do all the work youreslf, your still looking at a few thousand in parts, and if you want someone else to do it...well....goodby money.

if you want "cheap" power, i dont think you can really go past 4agze with a turbo, seems to be a winning combination.

but NA is so much fun to drive....
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

if its your first project, stick to your plan and just reco the big port. a well running big port is a good place to start with an 86... but as others have said, its not gonna turn 3rd gear easily..

dont worry about using the gze head, the cams are smaller and although it is a better head, it means you cant bolt on a rwd intake. keep the small port head for later, maybe youll do cams and quads and a nicer bottom end built on a later version.
    78's

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Sep 5 2008, 03:36 PM) </div>well with what i have what are my options?

i have a stock blue top engine complete
    i have a 4agze head (red) from a MR2

now i have approx 300-400 a fortnight to spend on the engine

first thing i was thinking was to get the Red head recoed and get
    the cams done (still looking for specs) and get cam gears.

then while the heads off get the bottom end ready for a balance
    etc..

basically its only gonna be on the track and it doesn't need to be
    a 10k engine bay - if i can get away with doing things on the cheap
    i will

just basic start point and where to throw my money is all i really need

also in way of tune - i was just going to get a SAFC and thats it or should i
    spend the money and go something like Power FC?

Also FWD - RWD anyone done a full writeup?

cheers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast