So I was wiring up the fuel pump relay on the sprinter, whilst musing on how many toyotas are getting around with the fuel pumps hard wired to swithches or ignition power etc.
I think this is mainly due to some misinformation circulating and a general fear of electronics.
Anyway, if your toyota ecu has an Fc pin (usually on the plug with main power feeds etc.) it will switch on when cranking, and when the engine is running; so there is no need for secondary relays.
This pin (on every toyota ecu I have encountered) will supply a +3v signal whenever the fuel pump is required, contrary to some writeups which claim that it is a ground signal.
The circuit pictured below only requires four components: relay, 2 resistors and a transistor, which all up cost around $10 from Jaycar or similar. It consists of a voltage divider to convert the +3v signal to a +1v logic signal for the transistor, and the transistor itself to pull the coil of the relay to ground. THe actual transistor used is not really important, only that it is relatively heavy duty and of the NPN variety. The part no. I used is there for a reference if you don't know what you are looking for.
Anyway, heres the circuit, pretty self explanatory:

*edit*
for some reason, the scaled down text is hard to read, if you can't read it, just click 'see full sized image', it's only 19Kb.