Thread: Shock absorbers

Name
    Aaron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Ok so I've got AJPS 6kg/mm front and 4.5kg/mm springs in my car and the shocks on the back are kyb excel g, not sure what the fronts are but I'd assume they are the same.
    When I go over bumps and stuff it's really rough and feels like the car isn't absorbing them at all. I went in my mates chaser and it soaks up the bumps really well. Now the two cars have totally different susepension setups, his being double wish bone all round with irs on the back and coilovers all round.
    So what I want to know is, does your car actually soak up the bumps? What shocks are you using and what do you recommend? What price am I looking at for a decent set of shocks?

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

decent shocks are about $400-550 a pair for front inserts, rear shocks are generally a little cheaper.

from what youre saying, and the rates youve chosen, maybe you should try bilsteins?

excel g's are a high quality japanese made replacement shock, with slightly firmer dampening than stock.

still, theyre always going to be borderline, even with your "soft" by ae86 enthusiasts standards spring rates... alot of knowledgeable people would still say thats over sprung.. And definitely no match for a purpose built coil over system, where the shock is valved to suit the spring perfectly (or close to).

pretty much the unfortunate reality is i think your just expecting too much, out of what can only be termed a budget set up.

78's

Bad Email Address

so excel g's are good for lowed springs?...

i read about them and they seem pretty average, my mate bought some kybs for his 92rolla and its feels like brand new stock shocks, no performance wise....or maybe its just me

Name
    Aaron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I'm just finding the car to be excessively bumpy. To get a real good idea I'd have to go for a ride in someone else's ae86 to give me something to compare to I guess. For all I know my shocks might even be blown. I'll get it looked at and see what I can do

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the best way to test if ur shocks are blown is to push down hard on the car above the wheel. if the car bounces back and stops at the top(or has a 2nd shorter movment) they are probably fine.

if you push down and they keep bouncing slowly getting smaller they are probably shagged

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I run Excel G short strokes with 8 and 6, and while somewhat under damped they still do an admirable job.

When i had 6 and 4.5 the car was much softer and more suited to the Excel G's, not really that uncomfortable though, easily liveable day to day.

You simply can't compare the dated suspension of the 86 with that of the chaser, its comparing apples to oranges. For some good shocks at a decent price id go TRD Blues for around 1000 a set. (they were until our dollar shat itself anyway)
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonaKid @ Sep 21 2008, 07:11 PM) </div>yeah you have to remmeber this

much of the larger cars, chasers/skylnes even s13s are much heavier than these poor ol corollas

i had a similar experience in a mates R32, its got apparent good "drift" suspension, so pretty stiff. i noticed in car parks i could still feel the suspension compressing alot more than my poor ke70 (8kg and over damped shocks in front, 6kg and normal short stroke shocks in rear)

its just to do with the weight these bigger cars to throw around.

as for your shocks, buy some adjustable ones! then you can fiddle for hours till you get it right (wish my front shocks were adjustable...)
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal